Tascam 134b + Tascam PE-40 + What Tascam/Teac Mixer??

Cratinus

Howdy. I sold my beloved 246 a few years back but have since picked up a "near ZERO hours" and MINT condition 134b rackmount cassette 4 track. What a solid unit! Anyway,..I have a lead on a Tascam PE-40 Parametric EQ...looks like a fantastic vintage unit. Although I'd surely use the PE40 for things OTHER than cassette 4 tracking I WOULD like to "mate" it with a vintage mixer of some kind. The EQ on the PE40 is pretty comprehensive. Is there a GOOD quality old Tascam, Teac (or other) mixer that would be a good match for it? I'd be looking (basically) for a small console with faders, pan, gain (and maybe Mute/Solo) with an Aux Send (or two). Is there anything that might fit the bill? If it's got basic EQ on board I could still integrate it with the PE40. l could always run the 134b through my modern Mackie mixer but I kinda want to set up a little "vintage analog only" section of my home studio. Maybe I should just skip the PE40 and go straight into a small console (although I really like the thoroughness of the PE40 EQ options) The 134b and PE40 are the width of a normal "rack" (aka 19"). Whatever mixer I get needs to be that width (or less) in size (but does NOT need to be rack mountable). I just don't have room for anything bigger. Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

The TASCAM 106 would mate up with that stuff quite nicely. Very clean 6x4x2 mixer with TRS inserts and basic high/low shelving eq. It's within the size you mentioned as well.

tascam106.JPG

Cheers!

Looks good, Ghost. I haven't perused these forums much in the last few years. I must say it is good to hear your (always) words of wisdom. Regarding the 106, looks like it would fit the bill. I even like the dual VU meters. I'm gonna research it and see what I can find (and find for sale). Any other options you can think of? Cheers.

Looks good, Ghost. I haven't perused these forums much in the last few years. I must say it is good to hear your (always) words of wisdom. Regarding the 106, looks like it would fit the bill. I even like the dual VU meters. I'm gonna research it and see what I can find (and find for sale). Any other options you can think of? Cheers.

From that era, there's also the M208, which was the bigger brother to the 106. It's an 8 channel board with XLR mic inputs where the 106 only has TR 1/4" phone plug mic inputs, though its slightly noisier then the 106. Going back a generation older then those, there's the M30 which is an 8x4x2 board, but I think it's slightly bigger then rack width by an inch or two and also a bit on the noisy side. But really, the 106 would be my first choice of those as its the cleanest/quietest of the bunch. I owned both a 106 and M208, so I have first hand experience with those.

Cheers! :)

Back