Tascam 133

Its made for video. Its not really made to do any multitracking. The 3rd (center) track is for a sync track as to lock a video machine to it.

And if you look back in to the past during the motown days there where 3 track machines used for studio use.

I'm afraid the 133 isn't really a "center-timecode-track" unit, but the 3rd track used for timecode actually occupies the entire 3rd track of tape.
(Check the diagrams in any Tascam Portastudio manual).

So,... when the timecode track is used,... the tape off the 133 is only recordable and playable for audio in one direction, with the 3rd track being used for timecode, and the 4th track is completely unused. Otherwise, if you don't use the 3rd timecode track, you may record as on any standard stereo cassette deck to two tracks, and the tape may be flipped over and recorded in the other direction,... (not so if the 3rd timecode track is used).

A consideration to make, if you're interested in the 133, is to look into the 234 Syncaset, which is a true 4-track overdubbing rackmount cassette deck, and sounds to me that it might fit your needs better than the 133.

The 133 is really specialized and targetted at the AV presentation market, with the 3rd track sucked up for timecode, for AV control tones.

Sorry if I repeat myself. :eek:

;)

Thanks guys, I just thought this machine may have been some sort of oddity, not really useful for what most of the people do here. It would have made more sense to me if the 3rd time code track were actually on the 4th track of the tape, to prevent crosstalk and bleed between the tracks.

-MD

themaddog said:
It would have made more sense to me if the 3rd time code track were actually on the 4th track of the tape, to prevent crosstalk and bleed between the tracks. -MD
I'd have to double check the manuals on that, so it may actually be the case. Good thinking.

I just wanted to emphasize that the timecode track on the 133 is not a "center-timecode" track, like on many reel/reels, but it occupies an entire legitimate track, which is quite a difference.

It may actually be on the 4th physical track, so I'll check that info again, sometime soon.

I'll stick by my opinion, that if you were marginally interested in the 133, the you may be a good candidate for the 234. ;)

Thanx.

Hello!

I've checked the 464 manual, and MadDog is right,... that the 3rd timecode track actually occupies physical track #4, with track #3 as a guard band. My mistake, above!

Nice catch!

See: ;)

Attachments

• Teac Track Diagram 1.jpg
    Teac Track Diagram 1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 95
Back