Tascam 112 cassette deck tires??

RFR

The recent 246 thread, brought this to light.

My tires on the 112 disintegrated. it seems the 246 tires are the same as the 112.

Anyone know what's involved in replacing these?? Looks like the whole tape mechanism needs to come out.
I might as well redo all the rubber while I am in there seeing how it is readily available.

I don't have a 112 exploded view of the transport but most likely, the transport has to come out to get at the C clips that hold the idler wheel in place.

Do you have the service manual? If so, that would give you a complete picture of where everything is and what needs to be removed to get to the spots you need to.

Cheers! :)

Ghost, Thanks for responding.

I don't have a service manual. I guess I should start looking. I've had this since new but somehow stuff gets lost in moves.

Some might say I was foolish for wanting to fix it, seeing how cheap these units can be had for, but I like fixing things rather than discarding them.

Resale value aside it has been a good deck for me. Thank goodness the parts are available.

Ah ha! I found a downloadable service manual for the unit. Oddly enough it is in the library of congress, the last place I'd expect to find a manual for studio gear.

Time to study.

Library of Congress: Weird!

Pls post a link to that, if possible. Thanks.

Due to the vertical-mount nature of the 112 cassette mech,... a standard old school component style cassette deck basically,... it's very likely the mech will have to be entirely removed from the chassis to do the in-deep work necessary to replace the tires.

Going out on a limb here, maybe, but I've refurbished a couple 234's with similar mechanical vertical orientation of the cassette mechanism. There's really not a lot of room to work in there unless you remove the mech from the chassis. Even then, it's a fairly involved teardown to redo the tires. It's been a while, but I believe it involves detaching the front panel from the body of the unit, then the mech from the front panel. I shouldn't get ahead of myself, as it's been a while & my recollection is a bit sketchy. Reminding me that I have a few DIY refurb projects that I started and haven't finished.

:spank::eek:;)

Well today was fix shit day.

My Da30 MKll had a 01 error message. Looked it up and it is a small belt that controls loading the tape. It gets oval from sitting too long, then refuses to work.
I found a helpful youtube video and in 5 minutes I was done!

Then decided to tackle the 112.
OMG, what a pain in the ass. Service manual wasn't too much help.
First disconnected the wiring to the tape mechanism, then 6 screws and the whole assembly was out. Easy.
Now to find where the tires are. Svc manual wasnt clear on their location.
I ended up pulling the whole door mechanism apart and finally found one of the wheels, then finally the second.
the whole assembly is on the motor in the center.
Once I discovered this, I realized that I didn't need to take it apart as much as I did.
Moved some wires out of the way removed two screws, and bingo! All access pass!
Replacing the rubber was easy enough.
Putting it back in was just as easy.

Now putting the door mechanism back, and getting it to close and eject properly, that was a pain.

In the end I was victorious, and for behaving, she got a bath and a nice blow-dry, and her heads thoroughly cleaned.

She rewarded me by working.☺

Yup. They truly are good reliable workhorses, like anything, they need a bit of love now and then.

Back