Tape to Tape Transfer

lonewhitefly

Hello All,

I know this is a long shot but ... anyone have both a 1" machine (8-track or 16-track), AND a 1/4" Fostex 8-track to help me out with some tape to tape transfers?

Also, I'm also looking for a 1/2" (4-track or 8-track) to 1/4" Fostex 8-track transfer, if anyone can help out there too.

Thanks for any leads!

Last edited:
Good luck. I hope someone can step up.
I do have a 1" 24-track machine that does a reasonably good job of playing back 8-track masters ('Woodstock' by Matthews Southern Comfort), and I can do 1/2" 8-track. What I can't do at the moment is 1/4" 8-track.
Shipping the tapes around would be horribly expensive too.

Good luck. I hope someone can step up.
I do have a 1" 24-track machine that does a reasonably good job of playing back 8-track masters ('Woodstock' by Matthews Southern Comfort), and I can do 1/2" 8-track. What I can't do at the moment is 1/4" 8-track.
Shipping the tapes around would be horribly expensive too.

Thanks for the offer!

I've found a local studio with a 1" machine, so I'm in touch with them but still waiting to schedule something ... so not sure if that's gonna work out.

Another member might have an option for me for the 1/2" to 1/4"-8.

You do realize that some profound generation loss is going to result in a tape to tape transfer, right?

I have an MS-16 [15ips IEC w/dbx] and a Fostex M80 that was just relapped and calibrated. Can do the job no questions asked

You do realize that some profound generation loss is going to result in a tape to tape transfer, right?

Indeed and if it is not a 'burn at the stake' matter can I suggest getting the tracks dumped to a hard drive (then a stick, then a cloud then another SSD that you keep at mum's)? Problem is, 8 line input AIs are like rocking horse droppings, best result I have found is the ubiquitous Tascam US 1608.

Dave.

Indeed and if it is not a 'burn at the stake' matter can I suggest getting the tracks dumped to a hard drive (then a stick, then a cloud then another SSD that you keep at mum's)? Problem is, 8 line input AIs are like rocking horse droppings, best result I have found is the ubiquitous Tascam US 1608.

Dave.

This is "analog only" :)

So youre saying the little poop piles I used to find by the rocking horse might possibly have been from the cats???

I threw that damn horse out!

Personally I'd be fine in transferring to a hard drive then back to tape. Allegedly the digital recording would be an "exact" copy of the tape. Any of the sonic goodness of tape is already on the tape.
You'd just be replicating it without adding anything new. I've done that, then gone back to my tape. Sounds just like the original to me. :)

But it seems like a gentleman has stepped up to the plate.
:thumbs up:

Given his 1960s approach to recording the albums in the first place, a bit of generation loss is only going to make it sound more authentic IMHO.

So youre saying the little poop piles I used to find by the rocking horse might possibly have been from the cats???

I threw that damn horse out!

Personally I'd be fine in transferring to a hard drive then back to tape. Allegedly the digital recording would be an "exact" copy of the tape. Any of the sonic goodness of tape is already on the tape.
You'd just be replicating it without adding anything new. I've done that, then gone back to my tape. Sounds just like the original to me. :)

But it seems like a gentleman has stepped up to the plate.
:thumbs up:

I'd be in a more complex situation introducing the digital element, as my only digital option is a stand-alone CD recorder.

Well, if it were me, I'd take a digital copy as well, just as a precaution. But I have been steadily transferring my 1" 24-tracks to 2".
I hope you're still holding onto the 1" and 1/2" tapes, though...

I don't have any digital setup, but I have all the tape masters (multis and mixes) ... none have been digitized except the final mixes. I'm slowly rebuilding a multi-track setup to finish the album that we've been working on for over 4 years now. The formats range from 4-track cassette to 1" 8-track.

I've been taking my 1/2 inch sessions and transfering them to SSD and back to a fresh reel. Seeing how some of the original tape had to be baked, this seems like a good idea to me.

So I have the originals (allthough some is SSS), I have wave files on ssd, and I have a duplicate on fresh non sticky tape.
:D

I've been taking my 1/2 inch sessions and transfering them to SSD and back to a fresh reel. Seeing how some of the original tape had to be baked, this seems like a good idea to me.

So I have the originals (allthough some is SSS), I have wave files on ssd, and I have a duplicate on fresh non sticky tape.
:D

See, a guy like me ... I don't know even know what SSD is :)

Glad to hear it!

Yeah...that's pretty awesome.

I've been following this thread. Would have loved help, but no 1/4" 8-track machine here, and nothing that's here is actually setup. No time to be found either. Geez...

debbie-downer.jpg

Hahah. :)

Back