Tape Deck

haggy38

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a nice and balance deck(Price, maintenance, etc), so many names in the game, Nakamichi, Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui...... I want a nice looking hope silver face reliable deck. I need an expert advice in this matter:)

Gustavo

What are you looking for? Reel to reel, cassette? 2 track stereo, multitrack?

Once you clue us in on the basics, there are plenty that can advise you.

Look no further than Tascams, such aS THE 122MKIII. These are professional grade cassette machines and quite affordable. Still some parts available, manuals are great. Just cant help you with the silver face.

Second vote for the tascam. I have a 112. In 20 some years it has served me well. I only just in the last few months had to change the belts.
Up till that point I have only had to do routine cleaning.
Both the 112 and the 122 are pretty bullet proof and rack mountable.

Silver face cassette decks are usually consumer model decks.

Nice deck indeed, but it will be a difficult task, I checked on eBay and lots of them pretty beat up or bad condition, just a couple supposed in working condition but $$$$$$:eek: absurd!

Any place else where can I looking for?.

Gustavo

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 55
There's one on Reverb.com right now for about 300 bucks. Evil bay is currently way overpriced.

Keep looking. I bought a very nice condition Tascam 122 for $2.50 (yes $2.50 cents !!!) and a 112mkII for $75. I sold the MkII for the price I bought it for. I know I could have gotten more. I just wanted to get rid of it. Here they are

053.JPGIMG_00000266.jpg

Just keep an eye out on your local classified. Some people will gouge you and some people just want to get rid of it. I kept the 122. It's a really nice deck and the styling is nicer than the 112 MkII in my opinion.

Last edited:
In the meantime, what about Nakamichi 700 deck, a guy here is selling one for $75 in working condition.... is a good deck??

Gustavo

Its got a silver face :thumbs up:

If it floats your boat, go for it. It is a consumer deck. It is not Nachamichi's best effort. But 75 bucks and it does what you want it to then go for it!

Thanks guys for your replies.

In other forum, a member is giving up for free a Tascam 122 MKII, he said it was stored many years ago and tried to power up and nothing happens, no smoke. I only have to pay shipping, what do you think guys 50/50 bet?

Gustavo

Well,

I would say very good, I maintain my reel to reel decks and got all the tools for the task, that being said I never deal with a tape cassette, which it probably be almost the same as RTR.......I think:confused:

Good! You should be OK. Its the same thing, just in a tighter space.
A completely dead machine is often a blessing, as its often simple and localized. Seriously as simple as a fuse of something easy many times.

A free 122? No brainer, get it. Worst case you can't get it fixed and part it out on evilbay.

Well guys you convince me, this is the actual machine,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg