Syncing Fostex E-16 and Otari MX-5050

submodern

I want to sync an Otari MX-5050 with a Fostex E-16 - I have the Fostex 4030 & 4035 (synchronizer and controller) but I'm missing the interface cable to connect the Otari. I know they exist (Fostex 8783 / Interface) but I'm having a hard time finding one for sale.

I know one will show up on eBay someday but I'm impatient! Does anyone happen to know the pin-out for these machines / has anyone had any luck building their own "interface"?
Also, if anyone has one they want to sell, I am serious about purchasing.

Last edited:
Could you use the MX5050 as a master sending timecode to the 4030 with the E16 as a slave? You would lose the central control of both machines but this would get you going.

The problem is, I don't have the proper interface cables to connect the Otari with the Fostex 4030 synchronizer. If I knew the pin-out I could probably do that tho, that is an interesting idea.

Page 16 of the manual shows the setup that I was thinking of - you just need an audio connection from the timecode track on the 5050 to the timecode input on the 4030.

James - you are totally right! It requires a dummy plug and some soldiering, but seems promising - thanks for the lead!

Update - I've moved on to an Adams Smith Zeta Three synchronizer. I have everything connected and somewhat working, but still I'm still figuring out how to use synchronizer & which settings to use to get things working correctly.

It will start and stop the machines together, and one will chase the other, but I'm having a hard time achieving "lock."

Unless you can achieve capstan control of either deck...you will never get them to lock.

I can't tell you how/if you can do that with the ASZ synchronizer, I use the Timeline Microlynx...but it should be about the same, and the ASZ via cable, must have direct access to on of the deck capstans...that then be you Slave, the other deck would be sending SMPTE to ASZ which then uses that to control the Slave and keep it in sync.

Hi all - the Zeta Three is working - just had a bit of a learning curve. I was able, with some guidance from Rick Austin, to get it working perfectly. Really satisfying once I got them working!! I'm going to try to make a little video when I have time, I'll share if anyone is interested.

Back