Still tearing my hair out.....Tascam ATR-60

ausrock

Guys, I posted this several months ago in the Tascam forums without any success, since then I haven't used my ATR enough for it to be a problem but the time has come where I have to try and sort out the problem.

For simplicity I have cut and pasted my original post. If anyone has any suggestions that may help resolve this problem please speak up :) ..................

"The following problem manifested itself earlier tonight when I went to record the last couple of couple of tracks on a song we're working on. Nothing had changed in the setup from earlier sessions and a subsequent process of elimination has ruled out anything other than the ATR as being the problem.

The scenario.............:

11 tracks are completed plus track 16 is the "Click Track" and all need to be heard in the cans while the next tracks are recorded.

2 tracks are "armed" ready for recording, and as usual the "Output Select" is set to "Synch" mode.

We hit the "Rec" and "Play" buttons and there is a horrid electric hiss/static sound in the cans and channel 16's VU is almost peaking.

What has been determined so far.............:

The level of this noise is kind of proportional to the number of tracks that are "armed".........1 track = -5dB, 2 tracks = +3dB and I haven't been game to try 3 tracks Also, it doesn't matter which tracks are "armed".

This only occurs when "Synch" mode is selected, in "Input" or "Repro" everything operates as normal with the click on track 16 being heard in "Repro" without problems.

Disconnecting the inputs and outputs makes no difference, therefore the problem has to be within the ATR.

I can work around the problem to get the recording finished but I'm hoping that someone here may have some suggestions or advice that may be of assistance in guiding me towards an answer to this. Unfortunately, the only qualified Tascam tech that I know of is over 800 miles away so there's no chance of getting him to look at it, although I do intend to call him and see if he can offer any help over the phone.

CHeers,

ChrisO :cool:

Just bring it over the ditch and I'll have a look at it :)

(sorry, couldn't help myself, I'm sure there's someone here who can give you some useful info)

Yeah, good on ya :D

I may have a bit of a play later tonight and see what I find but my diagnostic skills are close to zero with the ATR, even with the schematics, etc. :o

:cool:

ausrock said:
Guys, I posted this several months ago in the Tascam forums without any success, since then I haven't used my ATR enough for it to be a problem but the time has come where I have to try and sort out the problem.

For simplicity I have cut and pasted my original post. If anyone has any suggestions that may help resolve this problem please speak up :) ..................

"The following problem manifested itself earlier tonight when I went to record the last couple of couple of tracks on a song we're working on. Nothing had changed in the setup from earlier sessions and a subsequent process of elimination has ruled out anything other than the ATR as being the problem.

The scenario.............:

11 tracks are completed plus track 16 is the "Click Track" and all need to be heard in the cans while the next tracks are recorded.

2 tracks are "armed" ready for recording, and as usual the "Output Select" is set to "Synch" mode.

We hit the "Rec" and "Play" buttons and there is a horrid electric hiss/static sound in the cans and channel 16's VU is almost peaking.

What has been determined so far.............:

The level of this noise is kind of proportional to the number of tracks that are "armed".........1 track = -5dB, 2 tracks = +3dB and I haven't been game to try 3 tracks Also, it doesn't matter which tracks are "armed".

This only occurs when "Synch" mode is selected, in "Input" or "Repro" everything operates as normal with the click on track 16 being heard in "Repro" without problems.

Disconnecting the inputs and outputs makes no difference, therefore the problem has to be within the ATR.

I can work around the problem to get the recording finished but I'm hoping that someone here may have some suggestions or advice that may be of assistance in guiding me towards an answer to this. Unfortunately, the only qualified Tascam tech that I know of is over 800 miles away so there's no chance of getting him to look at it, although I do intend to call him and see if he can offer any help over the phone.

CHeers,

This kind of problem *likely* has to do with electronic feedback.

Does the problem happen when you are recording tracks that are *side-by-side*?

Try recording tracks 1&2, 2&3, 3&4 etc. to the end.

Try the offending tracks with tracks far away from each other.

The feedback should different depending on where in the head they are.

Usually worn heads do this. If you are *sure* of the remaining life (head report) then you might be looking at bypass electrolytic caps that are dried up or shorted. Old machines have this problem. Eventually, all machines will have this problem. The only solution is re-capping.

Good Luck.

ausrock said:

Heres the deal.I am about 90% sure this is your problem. Tascam board I assume. it is only when you hit record. Their should be some sort of flip button that switches from mon controls to fader. unpress that button (s) on the tracks that are rec enabled. The same thing happened to me when I got my M-2600mkII. Acatally it was so loud that it scared the crap out of me. :eek:

good luck!

Dr,

Not a Tascam console and the problem occured regardless of whether the console is connected or not but thanks for the suggestion.

MCI,

I will try a few tracking scenarios and see what happens. Knowing what Murph'y Law can be like, it is quite possible the problem won't manifest itself when I expect it to :rolleyes: .

:cool:

Back