Sticky Shed Help Thread

So I'm just starting out, see my VERY brief post in the Newbies thread... I got 2-3 unused reels with my Pioneer RT-707 and looking for guidance whether to bake or use or sell or what... They all are 7" :
Ampex 456
Redwood City address
Cellophane shrink-wrap, no apparent puncture / cut / tear / etc.

I believe I read somewhere you must tear into the 7" to locate a date code...

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Warren
What does the box look like? If the Ampex logo is in the middle it’s bad.

I wouldn't call this logo "in the middle" but maybe you would?
That's an even older box. It's most likely sticky. I've had a lot of pre-1994 Ampex and it's all bad. In fact, I got a good deal on a Fostex A8, because the guy thought the transport was jacked, it was sticky tape. New 1/4" tape is available. You have several choices that will be close to 456. Check out splicit.com.

Why is my tape sticky ONLY in one direction the (>) forward direction. The play of the B side (reverse) from the take up reel works great. The play gets weird about 2/3 thru the 1800' tape and on fast forward stops dead near the end. Sony PR-150 recording tape, Teac A-4010-SL, a single capstan machine.
Freeze the tape? In the box or not. In ziplock bag or not. An hour in the freezer or overnight?

just kinda bookmarking this thread ...... I have about 80 reels that I'm gonna try to archive to digital over the winter ....... most of them are 40 years old but have always been stored on a shelf in my bedroom

just kinda bookmarking this thread ...... I have about 80 reels that I'm gonna try to archive to digital over the winter ....... most of them are 40 years old but have always been stored on a shelf in my bedroom
All Ampex 456 will have sticky-shed as will 3M/Scotch 226 & 250. Makes no difference how or where they were stored.

All Ampex 456 will have sticky-shed as will 3M/Scotch 226 & 250. Makes no difference how or where they were stored.
ummm .....marking the thread .... all that info is in the thread right?
Don't need you to read it for me but thanks anyway

Back