Soundcraft 500

In Australia 240 volts, (actually more like 250volts here) I run the whole studio off a 16A breaker (actually earth leakage breaker) which is feed from a side of the 3 phase that only powers the studio. Kitchen and air cond from it's own phase and lighting from it's own phase. Therefor switching lights and the starting of air con makes not electrical noise in the studio. I do run 2 x UPS / filters, one on the console and recorders (hard disk recorders) and one for all the computers. Amps and stuff in the recording room are direct to mains.

To people in countries with 110/120 volts you will need approx 35 amps to equal 16Amps at 240 volts.

Alan.

In Australia 240 volts, (actually more like 250volts here) I run the whole studio off a 16A breaker (actually earth leakage breaker) which is feed from a side of the 3 phase that only powers the studio. Kitchen and air cond from it's own phase and lighting from it's own phase. Therefor switching lights and the starting of air con makes not electrical noise in the studio. I do run 2 x UPS / filters, one on the console and recorders (hard disk recorders) and one for all the computers. Amps and stuff in the recording room are direct to mains.

To people in countries with 110/120 volts you will need approx 35 amps to equal 16Amps at 240 volts.

Alan.

Is that typical of a residential feed(3phase) in Australia.

G

I´m not familiar of UPS, what is it?

Uninterrupted power supply. They have a battery backup so if the mains goes off it will keep the gear running for enough time to back up your work before the computers turn off. I have it one the console because it has an on board computer with automation and the hard disk recorders because if the power went off in the middle of recording it ends up with corruptive files and screws it up.

The UPS also protects you from a voltage spike or dip by switching to the battery until things return to normal.

UPS

Alan.

Uninterrupted power supply. They have a battery backup so if the mains goes off it will keep the gear running for enough time to back up your work before the computers turn off. I have it one the console because it has an on board computer with automation and the hard disk recorders because if the power went off in the middle of recording it ends up with corruptive files and screws it up.

The UPS also protects you from a voltage spike or dip by switching to the battery until things return to normal.

UPS

Alan.

Yes thanks, I´ve heard about this but I think I won´t be needing it in my man cave.
I´m not setting this up myself, I´ve people doing it but, the owner and his son - skilled guys
but I want to make sure it will be done right, size of the breaker and cable etc. as they didn´t
know what´s required for studio usage (if that makes sense) and frankly, barely do I :p

220V? "Nominal" 230V or the 240V+ I usually get? No matter, even 220V give you over 3kW, more than enough.

I don't know how long the "run" would be but I would take a chunky 4mm cable right from the meter cupboard and bring that to a consumer unit similar to the one shown. Of course you really only need one 16A breaker in it but I would get one with built in RCD. Old house so bet nothing in the cupboard?

Have you considered a UPS?

Dave.

There´s a new meter cupboard in the other room we will install 16a breaker to (I think) and take a cable from there.
It´s work in process as we speak so if we summon this up, what message can I bring them?

1) 16A breaker w/RCD protection
2) 4mm cable

Last edited:
"1) 16A breaker w/RCD protection
2) 4mm cable "

^ Yes but. A new meter installation will surely have a spare "fused" bank? I would take a cable from that and run it to a "garage style" breaker/RCD unit. Then, with luck any mishaps at the studio end will trip THAT RCD and they won't have to run back to the meter cupboard.

The 4mm cable might seem an overkill for 3kW (and they will never pull close to that even with twice the kit) but,
1)this will not be a ring main I assume.
2 You want to keep the earth path resistance as low as possible.

I HAVE to tell you. I am NOT a qualified electrician! I have spent 60 years in electronics and am confident I can "do" domestic electrics safely but the regulations come in a (two?) huge and expensive book and they are in any case peculiar to each country. You must get a qualified man in for the final checkout and hook up to the house supply.

Dave.

Hi all, my man cave studio is up and running with the SC500 and G16 as it´s centerpiece. Did a quick comparison of my outboard pres and the 500 and needless to say the 500 blows in terms of headroom and clarity. But in all seriousness it will get quite useful when I´ll get used to it, feeding my outboard pres to the desk and use the EQ, after all I went for it because I was tired of the cleanness of my pres and to turn a few knobs.

Anyways, as I´m more or less total stranger to routing the desk I would like you help on that matter.
The the scenario is this.... I´m dialing my outboard pres to the desk, using the EQ and DI out to AD/DA to DAW.
What I like to do is adding a Space Echo in the mix before printing. I have 4ch with Left and Right Inserts and there goes
my output from the Space Echo right? Now, if I want to have the option to feed the Space Echo around the desk where
do I feed it from?
Looking forward to dial it in :)
Thanks!

Maybe you have not received a response M because people are not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve? Not at all my area of expertize but..

Generally an outboard effect is fed from the AUX* send jack and the signal comes back to a return bus. Or, if the mixer has it, it could be incorporated on the main mix insert?

Also, try as I might I cannot find a signal flow block diagram for that mixer. Do you have one in the user manual?

*Might be "FX send" or you might have both.

Dave.

The attached Mackie block diagram shows the idea.

Each channel can send a controlled level signal to the AUX send bus and that goes out via the two AUX send jacks.

Signal from the effect comes back to the Stereo Return jacks and again the level can be controlled.

There is of course the possibility that you know all this and I am talking complete bllx.

Dave.

Attachments

• mackie block.png
    mackie block.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 13
TBH I didn’t reply because I couldn’t follow the OP’s description of the setup. Maybe I just need it a bit more paint by members... :eek:

Back