Sound-on-Sound Decks?

Muckelroy

I was curious -- are there any tape decks (multitrack or not) that employ a sound-on-sound feature, which enables you to turn off the erase head, and record more stuff onto the same track while keeping the old stuff?

A lot of the old 4 track tape machines back in the day had this feature, (George Martin's specialty!)

Any semi-modern decks that have this feature? I know, bouncing tracks is way easier, and a bit more feasible, but I was just curious if this feature existed, in the case that you didn't have an empty track to bounce to. (?)

-callie-

Muckelroy said:
Any semi-modern decks that have this feature? -

the answer is - Nop. Also, I like that: "semi-modern" term... I totaly dig the word ...I'd gladly apply it on 'myself' ... huh! - cool - "I'm a semi-modern artist" - sounds good :D :p :D

even thou "SOS" switch can be found on only some older machines (Akai4000ds, i'm not sure about TEAC a-1200? ...some others???)... but when The Moon rises HIGH ...you can see things clearer.... and so realize that it's not so hard to do/achieve s.o.s. with any r-t-r machine, well, you'll have to apply some mind'n'hands actions on it ... ;)
Also, practically speaking, to adding something 'sos-style' to your previously recorded GREAT takes is pretty BRAVE thing to do ...you gotta be really in the right mood at the right time and also be lucky :D
Here's Sir Les Paul... please, check this interview with LesPaul - good read :)
Also there's "HHTM" recording set-up photo there

Attachments

• lp.gif
    lp.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 58
HAHA! I like that acronym - S.O.S.

Only that's what you'll be saying if you use that function after not knowing what the crap you just did! :eek:

-callie-

Muckelroy said:
HAHA! I like that acronym - S.O.S.

Only that's what you'll be saying if you use that function after not knowing what the crap you just did! :eek:

-callie-
:D -EXACTLY- :D
it's okey if you just messing around with some whatever recording. But, let's say, you've recorded some really nice takes on all tracks and got into situation, when everything is just so! great and you feel like you are getting some real good piece of music here, but you just feel like you need to add a bit here and there...some extra piano-run ..or guitar pick..or - you name it and so then the piece would become a REAL HIT ;)...but! you've got no 'free tracks' left...and then you get that idea: hey! - why not to 'sos-it'? :rolleyes: ah-hah!
I'm telling you, if I'd imagine myself doing it... - it would not matter how great I may get rehearsing the take... I know for sure, that in such situation - I WILL screw it up - 100% ... not a chance. You gotta be in a real real real cool mood and have a steel-nerve to do this kind of recordings.

...."Any semi-modern decks that have this feature...."

If you call the mid 60s to the mid 70's "semi-modern", there were all of the Sony Superscope series recorders. Most all models had sound-on-sound...and/or "echo". I had a Sony at one point in the mid 60's and I still have some of the old Sony brochures. Some of those models were fairly elaborate with bazillions of buttons/knobs....all for simple stereo.

There were a number of the Tandberg reel-to-reels that that had sos in the early/mid 70's (I loved the color scheme of the Tandberg reel-to-reels)... and there were all the Roberts stereo reel-to-reels. Roberts had a fancy name for the sound on sound feature...."x-field" or something to designate you could "cross" tracks...confusing name for sos. You could also create echo on these models with a switch that changed the routing a bit from sos to sos with a feedback loop circuit.

I'd record on the Sony decks when I was a kid...although it was so frustrating after the first sos pass when you wanted to undo the first part recorded...obviously, no can do.

In those days, I had a brainstorm (for the time) and decided to simply use two stereo recorders..fill a track (or 2 at a time...no track sync in those days) ..and then mix to the second recorder...then back and forth that way. Which ultimately proved to be cool 40 years later because I had all my individual reels/tracks/bounces which I had kept all those years....transferred to Nuendo as multitrack tracks...and eventually...if I ever get time...will remix. Maybe even to surround!

Very cool stuff.

A lot of the early Beatle's records were done with sound-on-sound. Much of the URGENCY that you hear in their vocals, and in the performance was a result of the fact that they only had ONE take to get it right.

I think that with that kind of a sense of urgency, the performance is SO much better, knowing that you've only got one shot to do it for the tape. None of this, taking 52 takes of a song and then trying to mix it down, and figure out which take is the best one.

Of course, SOS is DED. but it's a cool concept. It forced a lot of artists to punch out some rather incredible records, accidents or not.

-callie-

Back