Sony TC-366 Reel to Reel tape deck problem

To undo the allen screw (if that is what it is) you will of course need the right tool so that is the first step.
Next heat up the nut area with a heat gun since it is likely some thread lock was used.

If after removing the nut the disc will still not come off DON'T go at it cack handed with gash screwdrivers! Fabricate a puller from pieces of steel and some M6 studding and nuts.

Now, of course moving surfaces need lubrication but oil is D.E.A.T.H to friction surfaces like belts, pulleys and brakes!

Dave.

Sorry to jump in with my question. Do anyone have the spcifcations for the drive belts in this nice recorder?

hI, My sony has a 'BLOWING SOUND" coming out of one speaker when playing , has anyone got any suggestions what it could be? The heads are clean and I have serviced the machine.

sony tc-366

newbie question:

I'm taking apart my tc-366 having trouble removing the knob on the top of the tape stop lever,is it a screw off or just stuck on and need to pry off ? my top plate will not come off with out removing that little silver knob and I don't want to damage the arm.

thank you in advance

newbie question:

I'm taking apart my tc-366 having trouble removing the knob on the top of the tape stop lever,is it a screw off or just stuck on and need to pry off ? my top plate will not come off with out removing that little silver knob and I don't want to damage the arm.

thank you in advance

You should not even THINK about servicing that machine until you get a service manual. Sony were VERY generous with manuals around this era (had about 2cu feet of them. Dumped, pre Ebay you see!)

Might cost you a $ or ten, could save you $100s.

Dave.

downloaded it along with the owners/user manual and it is fabulously full of info but does not tell me how to remomve that quick stop arm knob which blocks top plate removal

saw your reply and have the same problem. went to U tube and one guy stated that the selector switch just needs lubed. can see how to get to the spot he was showing. he had the selector switch out. really don't want to do that. did find the screw you talked about and turned it. only was able to turn to the left. right turn was to tight. didn't want to strip it. took the thing out of case for some reason(having a senior moment) but when turning handle to the left the idler on the left is engaged and I thing that's whats keeping the switch from going all the way over. anyway will keep trying

Definitely the motor start cap.....I have replaced over 75 of these critters, when I recondition a unit that is one of the first things I do. I use the new style cap because they do not leak the wax out. Once replaced the motor will run cooler and maintain speed.

Yep, definitely a cap problem. The old caps were famous for leaking the wax, breaking down and causing the motor to heat, loss of power torque and speed. I have reconditioned over 75 of the 366-377 models, first thing I do is remove the tin style cap and replace it. The replacement I use comes from Amazon, listed under Fan Motor Start Capacitors.

I have a similar fault that the play and rewind do not latch. I've followed these links and understand about the adjusting screw, however whilst stripping and cleaning I've noticed a very small coil spring on a latching pawl. The thing is neither end is attached so it's doing nothing. I've looked to see where it could be attached but can't see how. I have taken some pictures but I can't find a way of uploading it to this site, so any advice on both issues would be great.4.jpg2 .jpg

Last edited:
Back