so there is a Tascam 38 in a local music shop...

Hi_Flyer

They want $250 for it.

What should I be looking for in order to judge the condition and value of the machine?

Overall, my initial impression was that the machine is in decent shape. Not abused. But I don't realy know what to look for... The heads didn't look worn, but I didn't get a really good look.

They said 3 VUs were "out". I'm not sure what they mean. The light bulbs are burned out? Or the needles don't move? The sales guy didn't know.

It may have belonged to the owner of the store, apparently it was in storage with a Tascam mastering 2 track (a tascam 32 I think). So, I may be able to talk to the previous owner, and ask specific questions.

$250 sounds like a good price to me. I see machines on ebay, advertised as "parts machines" for around $250. Plus they said that it had been sitting in the store for awhile, and I have a feeling that if I offered $200 cash they would take it.

what do you guys think?

250 is a pretty good price for a 38. I dont know what to say about the meter but if its just the bulbs I wouldnt let that stop me. If it is the meters that are blown they do come available for sale here and there and are not a big deal to get.
I would suggest asking if you can bring it back if the channels dont work.
Alot of times if these machines get knocked around some the channel cards in the bottom of the machine can come loose and just need to be pushed back up into their sockets or there could be corrosion that is causing the problem.
Other than that its kind of a crap shoot.

thanks.

anybody else have any advice? I'm a bit surprised at the lack of response on this...

I just got word that my Mackie Onyx 1220 is shipping today (it was on backorder), so I'll have a mixer. My plan is to tracks drums and stuff to tape, then transfer to DAW to mix and overdub. So, the cool part is if the Mackie FW interface works well with my PC, then I can use the mackie board for tracking to the tape deck, transfering to the computer, and then doing overdubs in the computer...

I'm also curious... Could you use a Tascam 688 as a front end mixer with one of these decks?

And one more thing... The Mackie Onyx board has only 4 preamps, so I would need outboard preamps if I record more than 4 tracks simultaneously. Can the preamps be plugged directly into a tape deck like a Tascam 38, or should they be routed through a mixer for some reason? Do these machines have balanced outputs?

Hi_Flyer said:
thanks.

anybody else have any advice? I'm a bit surprised at the lack of response on this...

And one more thing... The Mackie Onyx board has only 4 preamps, so I would need outboard preamps if I record more than 4 tracks simultaneously. Can the preamps be plugged directly into a tape deck like a Tascam 38, or should they be routed through a mixer for some reason? Do these machines have balanced outputs?

Well if it was me, and I was still looking for a recorder, I'd grab it with both hands and worry about making it work afterwards. But I was hoping someone would have some slightly more sage advice.

Your method of working is rather different to mine so I can't usefully comment on that, but I'm feeding everything to my recorder through a mixer rather than going directly.
I can confirm that the '38 is unbalanced. I _think_ the '58 is balanced, but it might not be (the '58 does use XLR connectors though; the '38 is all RCA/Phono connectors).

I'd offer $200, cash & carry,...

because it's a unit that has known problems and no one can vouch or clearly define if it has any more serious problems with full functionality. :eek:

Like I said unless they will take it back if it doesnt work I would pass.
Unless you are willing to put up the money that it will take to get it fixed.
Which could be anywhere from a 15.00 belt (and thats if you do it yourself) to hundreds of dollars for heads and stuff like that.
Analog is not a cheap game like digital is. And these days you have to be willing to make the comitment of the Dollars to play that game.

I would take a tape and test the machine before buying it.
Like Herm said it's a gamble but a working 38 for $ 200.00 is a great deal.
Check for head-wear and try both recording and playback on all channels before you buy, just to be sure.

Good Luck :)

Back