So I bought some Scotch 207 +3 tape

SteveM

I bought an unused reel still sealed in plastic off ebay because I wanted to try it and I'm liking the way it sounds. I haven't set up the deck for it yet so it's not right on, yet it still sounds great. So I'm wondering will the quantegy 406 or another equivilant get simular results? Also, I know we've been over this hundred times but what are some of the characteristics of using a +3 tape?

406/407 is a bit hotter, but in the same class as 206/207. The big differences between the +6 and +3 are lower distortion, higher output and thus lower background hiss of the +6. Beyond that it just comes down to the unique characteristics of each formulation. 207 just sounds a bit different than 406 and some people like one more than the other, or like one for some types of music and one for other types of music.

406/407 and 206/207 are “Softer” in the way they deal with high levels compared to something like 456, with 206/207 being the softest and warmest of the two, IMO.

It compresses gradually and doesn’t make high frequency peaks sound harsh. As an example, with high frequency content where you might normally need a de-esser, 206/207 at 15 ips can be enough of a de-esser if it’s not too extreme. As we like to say sometimes… tape sounds “Better than live” and 206/207 probably epitomizes the analog sound in this regard.

:)

It compresses gradually and doesn’t make high frequency peaks sound harsh. As an example, with high frequency content where you might normally need a de-esser, 206/207 at 15 ips can be enough of a de-esser if it’s not too extreme. As we like to say sometimes… tape sounds “Better than live” and 206/207 probably epitomizes the analog sound in this regard.

I think that's what I'm finding. The peaks are smoother and the drums are punchier. So I should watch the levels to prevent distortion but high enough to cover any hiss I'm guessing? I actually decided to try it after reading your recommendation and reading Tom Sholz's talking about it on the Boston website.

Excellent info Tim. I can now see prices of 206 / 207 going through the roof!:D;)

They sort of are already. I tried an auction for 3 new reels but was outbid. This cost me almost $40.00 with shipping for a 1/2" pancake. Not bad but you know others a scoping them out.

One other thing. The hub on these old pancakes is like iron or something. :D It probably weighs 2 pounds. It runs pretty smooth with it but do you think the light weight plastic ones are safer to run? Make any difference?

They are aluminum, which is what Scotch and AMPEX used back in the day. IMO, Aluminum is better than plastic for hubs... it just costs more to make so they phased them out. The only down side is they can more easily mar plastic reel clampers if you're not careful. In general reels are cheaper and flimsier than they used to be. We get a lot less for the money in that regard.

They sort of are already. I tried an auction for 3 new reels but was outbid. This cost me almost $40.00 with shipping for a 1/2" pancake. Not bad but you know others a scoping them out.

Tim (Beck) posted these links a while ago but you should have jumped on these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCOTCH-206-...ryZ15000QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCOTCH-206-...ryZ15000QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Actually I did. :p:D That's where I got it, except it was 207. Those tapes are completely sealed off you have to cut the bag open. :cool:

You mean from that same seller? In 1/2" 1mil 207? I never seen him sell 207 in 1/2".... Did he misrepresent the 207 as 206?:confused:

Sorry for asking but did this same seller misrepresent the tape as 206?

Nope, You're right Daniel!
Thanks for correcting me. It's 206! So everything here I was talking about I meant 206. :o I don't know how I got the 207 in my head. :confused:

Nope, You're right Daniel!
Thanks for correcting me. It's 206! So everything here I was talking about I meant 206. :o:D I don't know how I got the 207 in my head. :confused:

Ok, Steve! Thanks! I thought we're going to be starting a PayPal fraud case against this seller [for misrepresentation]! LOL!!:D;)

Looks like he's got more of those 206 pancakes. Yummie!:D

Back