SMPTE Sync question

brendandwyer

I am attempting to stripe time code to tape using a mackie sdr2496 to generate the code.

THe VU on channel 8 on the tape machine is reading -7(?) on the vu, far lower than 0.

What is an adequate level for the the mackie to chase and lock to. Any help is appreciated.

brendandwyer said:
I am attempting to stripe time code to tape using a mackie sdr2496 to generate the code.

THe VU on channel 8 on the tape machine is reading -7(?) on the vu, far lower than 0.

What is an adequate level for the the mackie to chase and lock to. Any help is appreciated.

I usually print around 0 myself, but I have worked with much lower levels. Bear in mind that lower signal levels on 8 will increase the risk of the timecode being swamped by track 7 (IIRC you use a Tascam 38, yes?).

I don't know about the Mackie, but sync units often have a trim pot of some kind to adjust the input and output levels.

i didn't see a trim pot, but if it is recessed and small, i may have missed it. I don't want to amplify the signal if i don't have to but i always thought that the signal should be at 0 myself.

I used to have the sync running through my console and i could amplify it. maybe someone has experience with the smpte on the mackie

Back