simple question

sixer2007

I thought it would be really fun to try to build one of these modules. I like working with my hands but never thought about it for audio.

Colour – DIYRE

Anyway, if i were to make one of these 500 series modules, how would I power it? I know there are things like the API lunchbox, but I'm not trying to drop hundreds of dollars just to power one module, and for the time being I don't see needing more than one space. Are there any cheap, simple options?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi there!
Do you know the exact power requirements?
There are places like JLM audio who provide reasonably priced power supplies and transformers.
They do kits with a bipolar supply and 48V, or two bi polar supplies and 48v.
You can usually get the pre-biult for a price or in kit-form for a little cheaper.

I've used them three times for custom-racking ward beck and auditronics modules.
Of course, you need something to put it all in so factor in the cost of a 1u rack unit plus any sockets or switches you might need then see how it compares to the price of a lunchbox.

Thanks for answering!

Sorry, i'm a complete noob with this. Do you mean something like this for a power supply? FiveFish Audio - PSU-2448 Power Supply Kit

Also, a quick google search to educate myself on what a 1u rack unit is brings up a lot of stuff about computers. Is that the same same casing that would fit something like an external disk drive?

Thanks for answering!

Sorry, i'm a complete noob with this. Do you mean something like this for a power supply? FiveFish Audio - PSU-2448 Power Supply Kit

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing, although those jobbys run on 30VAC or thereabouts so you'll need a mains transformer to go with it.
The one you pictured has one bi polar supply and +48v for phantom. They're all adjustable within reason.
15v- 28v maybe for the bi-polar? Need to check.
What are the requirements for your particular module?

Also, a quick google search to educate myself on what a 1u rack unit is brings up a lot of stuff about computers. Is that the same same casing that would fit something like an external disk drive?

Ah, yeah...it would.
1u rack unit is just the name for the case that fits in the standard sized rack case.
Preamps, effects units, server computers etc all come in 19" rack cases but you can buy empty ones.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.
1u-19-inch-rack-mount-200mm-vented-enclosure-chassis-case.jpg

Maybe this isn't the kind of thing you're looking for?
You'd have to fit and wire the mains connections, transformer, power supply, audio I/O, source edge connectors for the module, and do basic metal work on the front panel to fit your module.
It's a good bit of work...

I love a bit of DIY, but I think I'd just buy a lunchbox.
At least that way you can expand very easily and at least it would have resale value. A DIY job?...maybe not so much.

Wow, not as simple as it would seem. I figured there would be a simple chassis that is just the size of one module that has a built in power supply that you can just "plug" a module into. I mean, that's how a lunchbox works, no? Although with more spaces of course...?

See, I don't have a rack. my interface is rack mount, but it just sits on my desk because it's all I have. I was hoping for some sort of "desktop" solution.

Wow, not as simple as it would seem. I figured there would be a simple chassis that is just the size of one module that has a built in power supply that you can just "plug" a module into. I mean, that's how a lunchbox works, no? Although with more spaces of course...?

See, I don't have a rack. my interface is rack mount, but it just sits on my desk because it's all I have. I was hoping for some sort of "desktop" solution.

Yes, that's exactly how a lunchbox works.

Oops! lol. My bad! It seems they make what you're describing!

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?
Very pricey, all the same, but shop around. I didn't realise they existed until there now.

Sorry man - I hope my info was useful anyway. :)

Like this guy, but just one space, and that price tag would make the whole project relatively disappointing. I mean, I don't need any of it, but i like learning how stuff works and I think it's a good way to do that

JLM Audio Shop

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing, although those jobbys run on 30VAC or thereabouts so you'll need a mains transformer to go with it.
The one you pictured has one bi polar supply and +48v for phantom. They're all adjustable within reason.
15v- 28v maybe for the bi-polar? Need to check.
What are the requirements for your particular module?

Hey steen, also If I were going to try to DIY my own power supply, is this the think I would need to go with the other?
FiveFish Audio - 30VA Power Transformer Kit

Their site doesn't seem to be littered with details, but it seems like a reasonable assumption.

I'm more familiar with the JLM kits but they seem to be, give or take, the same thing.
JLMs site is more informative, if you want to have a look there.

If you want to get into building things for yourself, check out the site GroupDIY. Lots of stuff to check out, and a for sale section. There are 500 series racks for one or two units.

Lot of helpful folks too.

I just finished building a recreation of the PYE compressors. Probably saved 8 or 9 thousand dollars...

Back