Signal Bandwith/ digital mixer vs ZED 22FXanalogue

Thrip

I have a question re the re Signal Bandwith quality and modern digital mixers vs the small Allen & Heath ZED 22FX analogue mixer;

In a 1997 Sound on Sound article by Hugh Robjohns entitled; "Anatomy of a Mixer", he states; "A top-quality analogue mixer has vastly greater SIGNAL BANDWIDTH, and significantly lower input noise floors than any digital desk fitted with mere 16-bit A-Ds and D-As." (...I haven't yet found more updated info)

I don't have a "top-quality analogue mixer" what I have is an Allen & Heath ZED 22FX. (I'm running a 24 bit Radar 24 through it -which has Nyquest converters sporting large digital formats).

What I'de like to find out is whether or not there's any advantage, -greater signal bandwidth & lower input noise floor with this little A&H analogue mixer to the current comparatively priced digital mixers or other computer based mixing these days ?

If this Allen & Heath ZED 22FX analogue mixer does NOT have a superior signal bandwidth (to modern digital desks or other computer based mixing) -what kind of quality of an analogue mixer do I need these days to achieve this advantage ?

I do hope I don't have to go to an API or Neve console -or that sort of a price range. The folks at Izcorp who make the Radar 24 recorders do indicate a preference for analogue mixing with these recorders.

I suspect things may have changed somewhat since 1997.

Thanks, Thrip

Back