Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sgt. Pepper 2017 remix tape sync

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Mr. Studer is turning over in his grave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
    Glad you find this interesting Level Anything. I wonder why they haven't done this with "Revolver" too, as I'm pretty sure they were bouncing a lot for this.

Looking at the Studer J37 specs, it is amazing how good the humble 244 is by comparison (especially when running on type 1!)
    Umm, I dont think so!! The Studer would beat the pants off the Teac any day of the week.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garww View Post
    Mr. Studer is turning over in his grave
    Why's he spinning?

Quote Originally Posted by radardoug View Post
    Umm, I dont think so!! The Studer would beat the pants off the Teac any day of the week.
    Don't think he was saying they're in the same league. More like appreciating what a machine with something like 1/32 the width of the J37 per track can do. Obviously the Studer is a different beats in all aspects than a cassette 4-track.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Level Anything For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Level Anything, that's exactly what I was saying! It is interesting that the quoted freq response of the Studer isn't that great -especially at 7.5 ips, and the 244 matches it at 15. Just for the hell of it I just recorded the remixed version of "With A Little Help From My Friends" on 2 tracks of the 244 I have set up for Type 1 and it sounds great - beautiful top,mid and bass and no dbx artifacts.

Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Manslick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
    Thanks Level Anything, that's exactly what I was saying! It is interesting that the quoted freq response of the Studer isn't that great -especially at 7.5 ips, and the 244 matches it at 15. Just for the hell of it I just recorded the remixed version of "With A Little Help From My Friends" on 2 tracks of the 244 I have set up for Type 1 and it sounds great - beautiful top,mid and bass and no dbx artifacts.
    We know what you are saying and that's the cause of my comment. You understand that this 1/8-inch track width was the consumer standard of the day - 7 1/2ips, 2-track (the 1-inch, 8-track part of it). A fat track at 7 1/2ips has got its own version of fidelity

A lot of these true Binaural stereo will have separation many have not heard before. When FM got going, they would have Beatles Marathons, and we could record Beatles to our cassettes all day long. My cassette was only good to 12 and 13k(going downhill with the wind), but we got that wonderful FM processing that we couldn't get at home. My 1960 SOS MONO Telefunken was doing 16k at 3 3/4ips. Its pretty common to see specs looking real good, but the Technical specs only hit 15k, as that's about all one needs for music.

So, while we can find a number on paper, that doesn't mean it translates the same way on different machines. You might of tried half-speed remastering : )

Thanks
    I transferred some old 16 track recordings into Pro Tools using 8 channels of Lucid DA converters in two takes. It took about a half hour to get in lined up in sync by matching the drums on each take.

Can they do a similar remix for Revolver / Rubber Soul? Those are my fav Beatles albums!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trancedental View Post
    I transferred some old 16 track recordings into Pro Tools using 8 channels of Lucid DA converters in two takes. It took about a half hour to get in lined up in sync by matching the drums on each take.

Can they do a similar remix for Revolver / Rubber Soul? Those are my fav Beatles albums!
    It's probaly those two and Abbey Road for me. Over here, I have the Mobile Fidelity Abbey Road LP, and I think it sounds pretty darn good. The other two are, currently, vintage CD, though I've the albums in storage . I really don't have any problem with the stereo CD as I was buying stereo by that time.

I like to 2-buss though two old preamps and if one is noisey. or, off, it is one track at a time. No extra charge for the phase effect : )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garww View Post
    We know what you are saying and that's the cause of my comment.
    I meant the "Studer would beat the pants off the TEAC any day of the week" comment.

Agree with the whole numbers on paper thing as well. I'm finding it to be truer as I gain more experience in this field and hear more machines.

Thread Information