Selling my Fostex G-16 Dolby C tape deck

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
OK...I know I'm breaking protocol here a bit, and posting about selling something, when normally Classified forum is for that...but, I'm not actually posting a "For Sale" ad here...and this is just a heads-up for the members, so I hope the mods don't flag me for it. :)

I just wanted to give the regular Analog Forum crowd a first dibs, in case anyone is interested, they can PM me...before I actually put it up for sale on eBay and elsewhere.
I would like to see it go to a good home, especially if it's someone that's a regular here.

Anyway...the deck is fully operational, comes with take-up reels, MRL calibration tape, plus some old Fostex calibration tapes (not great, but I've baked them, as spares), comes with a bunch of spare parts I bought from Fostex years ago (guide rollers, pinch rollers, extender card, etc).
This deck has the optional 8330 sync card, which is must-have if you want to lock to DAW, MIDI or anything else. I also have the Operation Manual, 8330 Manual and the full Service Manual.
I also have (3) of the long remote cables (one never used). I use to connect two of them, and I could bring the remote (which is the front meter/button panel) out to 25' from the deck. The third cable would get you about 40', but I never tried it with three.
I also have the blank panel that covers the front where the remote panel goes when mounted to the deck.

Finally...I have a 2nd Fostex G16C...it works, but it's seen a lot of use. I only picked it up as a parts machine, so I make no claims about how well it records. The heads do have noticeable ware on this second deck.
I would include this 2nd deck in the sale...that way, the next owner will be set for a long time to come.
Also...both of these are G16 Dolby C decks...not the infamous Dolby S with the chips that eventually shit the bed, and that's it, the audio card is dead after that.
The Dolby C machines didn't have the problem, so the chips never died on them.

l would be happy to provide more info...and if the mods don't mind me breaking a little protocol with this thread...I could post some pics and answer questions...but I would rather only do that for anyone seriously interested, via PM.

This whole package will cost a bit more...so anyone looking for a $300-$400 deck...this won't be it...but again, this is a well maintained deck, and it comes with a LOT of extras that a serious user would appreciate...because you will never see this stuff again on eBay or elsewhere, as some of these extras are rarer than hens teeth. :D

That's it.
I plan to be listing the deck out for the whole world, in the next day or two.

OK...I know I'm breaking protocol here a bit, and posting about selling something, when normally Classified forum is for that...but, I'm not actually posting a "For Sale" ad here...and this is just a heads-up for the members, so I hope the mods don't flag me for it. :)

You're good. :)

Not personally interested, but wanted to wish you well in finding a buyer. That is indeed a good package (manuals, spares, valuable options, and spare machine).

For what it's worth I'd have no concerns whatsoever buying something from you sight unseen, so I hope the right buyer comes along soon.

Thanks for saying that, Cory.
My Fostex G16 has been very well cared for, and is very clean for a 25 year-old deck...with a lot of life left.
Today I spent a bit more time with the 2nd deck, which I picked up about 3-4 years ago, and frankly, all I ever did at the time was to power it up. It was only acquired to be a parts deck...then within a couple of weeks after that, I found my 2" Otari...so my attention quickly turned away from the G16 decks.

Anyway...I ran some tape through the 2nd "parts deck" today...put the calibration tape on it just to see if all the channels showed life...etc...and it actually seems to run pretty good. It shows more superficial wear than my original deck (scratches/nicks), and the head is also shows some wear...but it looks like it still has some some life to it.
So I was a bit surprised that it was in decent shape...but I'm still going to sell it as a 2nd "parts deck" together with the other deck.
I just think all this stuff should go to one person as one lot. Anyone serious would want everything, as that would ensure many more years of functionality, with enough parts to cover anything that comes up.

Here's just one picture showing the complete pile of gear that is included.

My original deck is on the left...the remote is removed and on top of the unit.

FostexG16.jpg

This is a killer buy. Two decks and all those parts? Shipping would be a beast though. I wish I had the cash on hand cuz I would buy this. I haven't seen a nicer machine that comes with a working parts deck.

Damn! That's one hell of a complete package.
:thumbs up:
Bundled up with your tascam mixer, someone would be good to go.
:D

I've been thinking about my TASCAM M3500 mixer...not sure what to do with it.
I did think about bundling it...but I tend to hate it when I see other eBayers bundle their whole studio or a bunch of stuff...and all I'm interested in is one item. :D

I think the Fostex should get some action on eBay (I think I will be listing on Saturday...I have some other items I also want to list, so I have to get them together).
AFA the 3500 mixer...I may put it up too, on its own...but with that puppy, the shipping is the big issue. The Fostex deck and other stuff I plan to list are not hard to ship (albeit, each Fostex deck is 75 lbs)...but the 3500 mixer is both heavy and bulky...so it would have to go as freight, I mean...FedEx or UPS is not going to carry it.
I may also list the mixer locally, on a local music classified site...and also on eBay, maybe someone local might respond. I mean. I would consider packing/shipping it...but I doubt anyone would want to pay the freight on the mixer...it's just not that much of a sought-after item.

I dunno...if I get no action on the 3500 mixer...at some point I may just give it away. Maybe locally to some church or something...but I'm not there yet. I would much rather get a few buck back out of it. It's fully functional, and like the Fostex deal, I have a bunch of spare parts...channel modules, faders, LEDs...AND...I even have the rarer-than-hen's-teeth, hardly ever seen...balancing kit for the console. I got it from someone (didn't buy it new with the console)...and I never got around ti installing it...but I see no reason it wouldn't work. I mean, like the console...it may be a good idea to recap it, but that's up the the next guy. As I said, right now, the console if fully functional...so any audio quality concerns are up to the next owner depending how far they want to go.

miroslav I can't reply to your pm - I get a message that says that you have exceeded you pm storage space (i.e. your inbox is full) - but I can contact you on ebay. Cheers!

I really hope you get what you are asking for that bundle, Miri...that's a heckuva good deal from a trustworthy seller.

Thanks!

On the surface, it might seem pricey...because I've seen the G16 decks go for like $600 in the past (though none were as clean as mine)...but when you consider the rest of the stuff that is included...the second deck and lots of extras that were not cheap...
...I think it's a good deal. I mean, if I was shopping for a nice 1/2" sixteen track...that listing would already be SOLD...and I'm not just saying that.
I spend a LOT of time on eBay, so I know what's a good deal and what the resale value is of used audio gear...and I've purchased a lot of used audio gear, without hesitation, when I see a good deal.

This will not be attractive to the very casual dabblers of analog tape...because frankly, it's way too much...not the price, but the depth they would be getting into with this setup. This is for someone who is maybe a Johnny-come-lately to analog tape, and who has looked and looked for a really great used deck that is a serious piece of equipment, without issues, that will last a long time...AND integrate with a DAW system. This bundle is for someone who wants to get very involved.

Hopefully...that person will come along and buy it all...and I will be happy to see it go to a good home. :)

I do a lot of trolling, buying and selling on eBay. I think your price is very reasonable for the package, and, yes, the person who ends up buying it will be somebody that has experience with narrow format multitracking, but wants to move up from 4 or 8 tracks in terms of track count...and has been looking for a clean ready-to-go machine and understands the value of the bundled items, and will see the price as reasonable because he/she sees the *stupid* prices people are asking for *garbage* on eBay, and your listing is the opposite of garbage and priced even less than what I see other stuff being listed for. You know the drill...list, re-list, hunker down and wait...somebody is looking for that package. It also should be noted that model Fostex machine was the latest and last iteration from Fostex for 1/2" 16-track...I know that may be obvious, but I don't know if it has been called out; the latest most advanced logic design, and will be the least aged of any Fostex 1/2" 16-track. This is a plus...and as you have noted it is NOT the unfortunate Dolby S version but the C. Yeah that's a good package.

My Fostex G16 decks are gone...SOLD! :)

I went back and forth with a guy out in CA...and we settled on a price. I got what I wanted, only $125 less than my list price.
He was apprehensive about the shipping thing, said he had one deck trashed a few years ago during shipping. I've had it happen too a few years ago, when some idiot just put a 75lb deck in a cardboard box with NO wrap of any kind :facepalm: (but I got my money back on that).

I assured him that I pack like a MOFO, and I know how to pack a deck to protect the face so the motors/head-block don't get trashed.

Anyway...he's getting a really nice deck, and the extra parts deck, plus the other stuff...and I think it's going to good home. He was very excited about the purchase.
Me too. :p

I've been following the thread... congrats on the sale. I know it's getting more difficult to move old analog equipment. Heck, I had trouble selling my Lavry's a couple of years ago.

Yeah...tell me about it. I was concerend this would really drag out.
Shit...I sold a whole bunch of pedals...1-2-3...but that stuff always moves.

Now I have my bigger problem...trying to sell my TASCAM M-3500 console.
The resale value and interest on these is all but extinct now days. :(

Kind of reminds me of the Beanie Babies epidemic from 2 decades ago. Whoever was holding them last when the fad faded, lost.

Back