Scotch 206 and 207 Tape

PACHICO

Were either of these 3M tape stocks released as 2", 1", 1/2" or were they only released as 1/4" Mastering tape?
Please help if you can.
Pat

Both 206 and 207 were available in all sizes from 1969 when it was introduced to early 1990’s when 3M got out of the magnetic tape business and subsequently sold their magnetic tape assets to Quantegy.

This is awesome tape, by the way, used on countless albums from its introduction. Tom Scholz tracked the first two albums and most of the third album on 206, so every Boston song from, “More Than a Feeling” to “Amanda” began on 3M/Scotch 206. As late as 2007 Scholz called 206/207 the best audiotape ever made. When he learned it would be discontinued he stocked up on it. He used 1" tape on a Scully 12-track for the first album. I’ve got it in ¼” and ½” and I’ve seen it in 2". It doesn’t have sticky shed like some other formulations. Most of my ½” is from early 80’s and my ¼” is from 70’s and 80’s. Great stuff!

Great. Thanks for jacking up the Ebay prices on NOS 207. :mad:

Just kidding. It is great tape though. Keep in mind it's a +3 tape. Works well on my Tascam 22.

Back