Scotch 206 1/2" 2500'

Roozter

I'm looking for a good bulk source of scotch 206 1/2" at 2500'. PM me or reply to the thread if you can help.

Bump. Could really use some help sourcing this guys, already missed my first window of opportunity to record this year due to lack of 1/2" tape, and the second is coming up in 4 weeks. If I can't find at least 4-5 nos reels here soon I'm considering an indefinite hiatus from all recording, possibly music as well, and probably selling my entire studio due to my current personal situation.

I've tried and failed for about 6 years to have a consistent studio space. 5 moves between crumby apartments, my computer getting destroyed, and a lack of available 1/2" tape at a decent price, has got me ready to throw in the towel and try something else. This may be my last HR post outside of listing all my equipment, so I'd like to thank all the great people in the analog forum who helped me understand one of the greatest art forms a person could attempt to master.

Thanks guys! :listeningmusic:

I hate to state the obvious....but finding a "bulk source" for NOS Scotch 206 tape is a bit unrealistic...and in 1/2" no less.

I mean....these days, finding a "bulk source" for just about any NOS tape brand/format is a bit unrealistic. You kinda find a NOS reel here and there, if you are lucky.....but Scotch 206 hasn't been made in like what....25 years or more....?

I guess I'm wondering why your recording endeavor has to be dependent solely on finding NOS Scotch 206...?
You could find other brands (albeit also here and there for NOS)...and if all else fails, just buy some RMGI and get busy recording. I don't think your recordings would suffer even if 206 was/is your preferred choice.

Heck...I prefer EMTEC 911, and I used it in 1/2" on my small format deck...but when I moved to 2"...EMTEC 911 in 2" tape was nowhere to be found...well, I actually found a single NOS reel just last week, but that is the first and only reel I've come across in the last 3 years.
So...I simply switched over to Ampex/Quantegy 499, which is still around and much easier to come across, and to tell the truth, I now like using it as much as liked EMTEC back in my 1/2" days.

My point is...just find the best tape you can and get busy recording....don't quit because you can't find 206. :)

I know how it is having a favorite tape, but if not being able to find 206 is going to stop you cold and make you throw in the towel, you may want to rethink your priorities. I had a couple cases of NOS Scotch 206 1/2" a couple years ago, but eventually sold it off little by little because it was in demand.

Do I love that tape? Yep, It's great tape. But I have even more Ampex 456 and 406, BASF/EMTEC SM911 and SM468. 3M/Scotch 206/207 is great tape, but it's not "Magic." Find a source, a case or two of Ampex or Quantegy 406 or 407 and you'll be in the ballpark with what you're accustomed to with Scotch 206.

Its not even the lack of 206. As miroslav said, finding a bulk source for it is unrealistic (although I am aware of one), and in 1/2" isn't easier. But please go on eBay, the local Cincinnati craigslist, or anything else, and start looking for one source to buy 4-6 reels from for less than 500 dollars that isn't RMGI or ATR. You will not find them, not one.

I see bulk Ampex 456 all the time, but we all know to avoid that. I see onsies and twosies of 1/4" Quantegy, maybe one 1/2" if I'm lucky. I've even seen an abundance of 206/207, but only in 1/4".

I did attempt to purchase RMGI 911 last year, only for them to be out of stock for months, ending with me canceling my order and using that money for my bills. It was supposed to be my Christmas present to myself...

So you see, its really a matter of there is no good NOS 1/2" around, and even when there is, by the time it pops up I can't afford it.

I was about to seal the deal for some 206 NOS. A few years worth actually, and then I got sheisted out of some serious money, and I'm sure by the time I get back to him they'll be long gone.

And there is a specific reason I chose 206. My machine is set up for it now, it should never go sticky, its one of the best sounding tapes imo, and Its resale value is always high.

So honestly, its not about a specific tape, its about constantly chasing something that isn't going to come to me, whether I do digital, analog, or whatever. 6 years of not being able to record a damn thing due to living and financial situations is too much for me on top of everything else. I love recording more than anything save songwriting, but I need cash quick after my latest setback, and my last decent chance at a lot of tape before the next time my drummer was in state got screwed royally by a family friends selfishness (putting it lightly).

The waiting game has become nothing less than depressing, to be honest, and Im just starting to think me recording any time soon is very unrealistic.

Here you go....one reel of NOS Quantegy 406....that should get you started recording again...good for at least 4-5 tunes. :)

1 New Ampex Quantegy 406 Audio Mastering 2500 039 x 1 2 034 Tape on A 10 5 034 Metal Reel | eBay

Here's some EMTEC 900 1/2" tape in 10.5" and 14" reels.....though not sure if your machine can be setup for it (what tape deck do you have?).

1 2" New BASF EMTEC Studio Master Analog Tapes | eBay

Some used Quantegy 456 1/2" tape....no shame in recording on used tape, I've done plenty tracks on used tape and it's as good as new. I mean....as soon as you RW/FW a couple of times, even your "NOS" reel is no longer "new". ;)

Quantegy Grand Master 456 10 1 2" Metal Reel 1 2" Tape | eBay

And another one...

Quantegy 456 Tape 2500 ft 1 2" Reel | eBay

Here's a NOS reel of Quantegy 456 1/2" tape.

SEALED Quantegy 456 Tape 2500 ft 1 2" Reel | eBay

Some used Quantegy GP9 1/2" tape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quantegy-GP...563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa203707b

A used reel of Ampex 499 1/2" tape.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Ampex-4...aultDomain_0&hash=item51cbf12c7e#ht_155wt_793

OK....you're on your own now, and you have no reason NOT to grab at least a reel or two and get busy recording.
AFA your preference for 206, or the fact that your machine is set up for it....well, maybe you just need to let go, or keep looking but use other tape until/if you ever find any 206....and just recalibrate that machine for one of the other tape formulations above ^^^^^.

Oh...the FedEx guy just dropped off the 3 reels of NOS 2" tape I scored the other day for $75 each. 1 Quantegy 456, 1 Quantegy 499 and 1 EMTEC 911.....got to grab what I can get...it's all good for recording. :cool:

Miroslav, Thanks for posting the links, amazing what a little search can come up with.:D

I have been following this thread and others with some interest, as I have a half inch machine (msr16) it came with 3 unopened nos ampex 456 tapes.

Too bad it's sticky era and was stored in the damp oregon coast climate. Imagine my disapointment as I watch a brand new reel start to drag as brown gunk is shedding.

Anyway, to the original poster you have given sound advice.

All this brings up another question. since tape is harder to find, what about calibration?? Doesn't someone need a test tape for that purpose?

MRL - MRL Calibration Tapes

Miroslav, Thanks for posting the links, amazing what a little search can come up with.:D

If he doesn't grab some....go for it.
eBay is first come, first serve for BIN items, and highest bid wins for auction items. :)

Like I said at the bottom of my last post....got to grab what I can get, when I can get it.
I had no plans to drop $225 on tape the other day, but those 2" NOS reels came up...and I knew I had to go for it.

Don't get a headache. :D

There's probably way more info there than you might need at any one time, and it's not always apparent what info would be specific to your machine and tape choices until you sift through...and then maybe ask more specific questions here.
There's a few guys here that know calibration real well...Beck was just in this thread, and he's one of them.
Also check out the sticky by lo.fi.love on DIY calibration...you got a bunch of people contributing info in there.

Don't get a headache. :D

There's probably way more info there than you might need at any one time, and it's not always apparent what info would be specific to your machine and tape choices until you sift through...and then maybe ask more specific questions here.
There's a few guys here that know calibration real well...Beck was just in this thread, and he's one of them.
Also check out the sticky by lo.fi.love on DIY calibration...you got a bunch of people contributing info in there.

Been reading a bunch, and although I've got quite a bit of recording experience under my belt, I've been out of the game for quite a while, and am a newbie here.

Back in the day I just used ampex 456, had the msr calibrated once at a teac shop and rolled with it.
Never thought to redo it and everything sounded fine. Ignorant bliss??

Don't have my mixer yet as it's at a buddy's place 12 hours away. So It will be a while till I start the hookup process. I got my deck, a bunch of outboard gear and some mics from back in the day. Sure glad I didn't sell off everything.

I assure you as I get it all in one place, I'll be asking questions.....just hope I won't be a pain in the arse. :o

Back