Rubber cleaner

Lomo

Is "Armor All" OK to clean pinch rollers? What about all those tire sprays like "Wet Tire"?

Lomo said:
Would I be able to find that or a good alternative at OfficeMax or Office Depot?

I would stick with the Caig RBR myself. However, there are rubber conditioners at Office stores that people use to treat rubber rollers on printers and such. One brand that I've tried is MG Chemicals Rubber Renue. It's made in Canada so it can't be all bad, eh Ghost?

It seemed to work fine and didn't hurt anything, but once my RBR came in the mail I started using that -- for some reason I feel safer with the Caig stuff for the long term. Don't know why... just a gut feeling, so I go with that.

-Tim

I've tried is MG Chemicals Rubber Renue. It's made in Canada so it can't be all bad, eh Ghost?
A while back, I had a Sticky Shed attack on my 16 track and it left my pinch roller in horrible shape. I honestly thought it was toast as I tried Windex, regular tap water and the product you mentioned and none of them worked at all,Tim. Then I ordered a can of the Caig stuff and tried that as a last resort and much to my surprise, the roller regained all of its original tone and suppleness and most importantly, it's grip potential was restored to new. In short, I was amazed and thankful I didn't have to replace what would have been a 90 dollar part on my machine.

Perhaps for normal cleaning routines, products like Windex or good old water might do the trick but for serious clean ups and especially SS attacks, Caig's RBR rubber re-conditioner has no equal in my books.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
A while back, I had a Sticky Shed attack on my 16 track and it left my pinch roller in horrible shape. I honestly thought it was toast as I tried Windex, regular tap water and the product you mentioned and none of them worked at all,Tim. Then I ordered a can of the Caig stuff and tried that as a last resort and much to my surprise, the roller regained all of its original tone and suppleness and most importantly, it's grip potential was restored to new. In short, I was amazed and thankful I didn't have to replace what would have been a 90 dollar part on my machine.

Perhaps for normal cleaning routines, products like Windex or good old water might do the trick but for serious clean ups and especially SS attacks, Caig's RBR rubber re-conditioner has no equal in my books.

I read in a review years ago that the rubber on the TSR/MSR is some kind of special type especially formulated for exceptional gripping. I imagine the 38 and others are as well. Caig RBR is probably the most intelligent choice.

Speaking of intelligence or lack there of. I once had such bad sticky shed on a 22-2 roller that I was up half the night in “mad scientist” mode trying to remedy it. I was fresh out of RBR at the time. I ended up trying Goo-Gone.

Hey everyone – don’t try Goo-Gone. :o

It literally melted the pinch-roller into a shapeless blob of tar. I can laugh about it now, but several lights went on in the neighborhood when I screamed “SHIT!” at the top of my lungs. Despair – you know the feeling. :D

The Ghost of FM said:
Then I ordered a can of the Caig stuff and tried that as a last resort and much to my surprise, the roller regained all of its original tone and suppleness and most importantly, it's grip potential was restored to new.

Too bad Caig doesn't make a product which when applied restores to new capacitors and electronics so that your 20 or 30 year old machine can be brand new again! :D

Btw, Jeff, do you order the Caig stuff from the States or do you get yours fron a supplier in Canada ?

~Daniel :)

cjacek said:
Too bad Caig doesn't make a product which when applied restores to new capacitors and electronics so that your 20 or 30 year old machine can be brand new again! :D

Btw, Jeff, do you order the Caig stuff from the States or do you get yours fron a supplier in Canada ?

~Daniel :)
I order from two different places;

MacMillan and Wife who are located in Mississauga, Ontario...sorry address not handy at the moment and direct from Caig on occasion.

The Ghost of FM said:
I order from two different places;

MacMillan and Wife who are located in Mississauga, Ontario...sorry address not handy at the moment and direct from Caig on occasion.

Alright, thanks very much Jeff! If you do get the address (for MacMillan and Wife) then please pass it on to me. :)

Thanks!

~Daniel

The Ghost of FM said:
There guys seem to be authorized Caig dealer in BC.

http://www.rpelectronics.com/

contact info is in the link. ;)

Thanks again Jeff .. I actually visited them and bought some stuff a while back and they did have some Caig stuff but not their rubber cleaner/restorer. I bought some MG Chemicals "Rubber Renew" but that stuff can kill you if you don't have windows open, power fans and a mask on! The fumes are horrible! :eek: I feel it works well but I'd rather have the Caig stuff for longer term use. I'll phone the people at the link and ask if they'd bring in some Caig RBR for me. Thanks again my friend.

~Daniel

Back