Routing Tascam 388 tracks to USB 8 track interface

migrant worker

Quick question guys...

I know I could take the signal from the RCA jacks at either the "tape out" or "pgm out," but if I wanted to use the "access send" jacks, could I just use a conventional TRS to XLR balanced snake (balanced on both ends) and run it into a Tascam 1641 or Presonus Firepod type-thing without a problem, or would it have to be an unbalanced 1/4" to XLR snake? The only reason I ask is that I'd rather buy a TRS snake because I'd end up using it with more of my existing equipment than I would, for example, an RCA snake.

Thanks!:D

Matt

I have in fact undergone the same process. I wanted to import all of my 388 tracks into the computer using a motu 8pre. I believe the best way to do it would be using the direct outs. You can get an 8 channel snake and go right into your interface.

Yes I think you could just use the send outs regardless. Not sure of the technical hindrances though. Someone with a little more know-how will probably chime in.

Good luck.

The TRS should work, but they're not going to be carrying a balanced signal from the 388. Buying the TRS snake would probably be the most cost effective option for you, if you plan on using TRS snakes later.

-MD

Right on. That's what I'll do then. Maybe I'll get an RCA snake sometime in the future if I should decide to use the "access send" or "receive" for effects or something. Thanks guys.

Just keep in mind that the MIC in jacks on the front of the US-1641 are indeed microphone preamps. They are not designed to handle line-level signals, and using the ACCESS SEND jacks you'll have no way attenuate the signal going to the US-1641. Whatever is on tape level-wise is what will come off the jacks (at a -10dBv standard) and hit those mic preamps and whether the trim knobs on the US-1641 will accommodate I don't know. It looks like they possiblywill though...the preamp covers a range of -58 ~ -2dBu which means when the US-1641 trim knobs are at full counter-clockwise the maximum nominal input is -4dBv. SO, that means you have 6dB's of headroom...so it depends on your program material but, IMHO, you're going to have to watch it. If I'm understanding things right (and I may not be), I know if it was me I wouldn't be comfortable with only 6dB's of headroom.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Back