Ross 4x4

imabustedlad

I'm new. This is my first post. But I've been lurking for at least a year now.

Anyway I just got one of these Ross 4x4 4-tracks off ebay for 30$ and wanted a manual... Googled and found nothing. Anyone have it? Or can direct me to some place I might find one?

thanks a lot.

Keas Electronics Inc was the parent company of Ross and there doesn't seem to be an active listing for them so they must have gone tits up.

Your best bet is to just try to figure out the unit on your own by experimenting a bit. If you've own a Portastudio product from TASCAM in the past, the basic workings of it should very similar in that your picking a track to record on, plugging in your gear into the mixer section, setting a level and routing it to the recording track.

I remember seeing some ads for that unit back in the late 70's/early 80's and it seemed to be a pretty basic model so it shouldn't be that complex to figure out.

Good luck!

Cheers! :)

thanks a lot man. i don't think he's active though, 1 post 2 years ago haha.

but yeah, i'm messing with it. looks alright so far

I bought one of these for my brother last year,also off ebay,no manual.
Just mess around with it.Like Ghost said,its really similar to a portastudio.

There's also this thread here;

Where the third post in the thread is from a guy who has that same unit and the manual! :eek:

If he's still an active member here...I don't know...he might be nice enough to scan his copy for you. Perhaps if you offer him a few paypal bucks for his efforts, he might not mind doing that for you?

Cheers! :)

Yes, I'm still here...just found the reply a year or so on..LOL
Do you still need that scan?

I'm new. This is my first post. But I've been lurking for at least a year now.

Anyway I just got one of these Ross 4x4 4-tracks off ebay for 30$ and wanted a manual... Googled and found nothing. Anyone have it? Or can direct me to some place I might find one?

thanks a lot.

Hi: I'm also new here. I have both the unit AND the manual. I started an analog home studio many years ago with a Teac 2340 4 Track Tape Recorder, went pro with two Teac 3340's, then opened a 4100 sq ft pro studio with an Otari 1" Eight Track, and finally an MCI 2" 15 & 30 IPS machine and a Studer 1/2" Mastering Machine. I sold the business many years ago.

I bought this Ross 4X4 years later from a musician friend, and I have to tell you, as a former pro engineer and producer, this little deck is DA BOMB!

I am currently struggling to learn SONAR HOME STUDIO 4, SONY ACID 9, and ABLETON HOME, all of which have me in a tizzy, even though I am completely computer savvy. The learning curve is a b1tch.

Anyway, as a musician and songwriter for many years (which is why I got into recording in the first place) I must admit that I have just pulled this little puppy out of my closet, and dusted it off, as I struggle to become proficient at digital recording.

Whether analog or digital, it is such a pleasure to record music in my home, without the burden of running a full blown recording studio as well, although I will also admit, that it WAS a flukin' blast!

So, there you have it...

DJSRC:

My buddy and I have been searching everywhere for a power supply for our ross r-4x4, does the manual list the type of power cable it uses? If you can help us we would be much obliged!

Robert Vila

Hi: No, at least not one easily at hand. I could take JPEG's of the pages...Otherwise I would have to go to Kinko's or wherever. It will take me a little while to find a friend with one. Let me know how soon you need it, and I will proceed accordingly. I don't really see how I would attach such files here. Do I need to post the pix on Photobuclet, Picasa, etc.?

DJSRC:

My buddy and I have been searching everywhere for a power supply for our ross r-4x4, does the manual list the type of power cable it uses? If you can help us we would be much obliged!

Robert Vila

Hi: Sure, I can send or post a JPEG of the Stats Page, or I can send a JPEG of the unit itself, with the specs on it. Let me know.

DJSRC: A jpeg of the cable itself or of the manual page that lists the power specs would be awesome! We really just need to know the type of connector it is so we know what to search for, so if it says what kind it is you could just tell us here.

Thanks a lot for your help, we really cant find this thing anywhere and it uses 10 c batteries, which is crazy.

Have a good one!

Robert

Hi: I figured out I have to go to "Go Advanced" to post attachments. I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need anything else. Regard the pic of the Power Supply, which shows the polarity of the four pins on the recorder end of power. I tried to display the pages of the manual in order, but they may not show up that way. Otherwise, most of the pages have the number shown at the bottom, other than the cover and back pages, so you can figure out the order, especially if you look at the text, and there are of course the two enclosed pictures. Good luck, and May the Force Be With You, or whatever...

Attachments

• Ross 4X4 Power.JPG
    Ross 4X4 Power.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Ross 4X4.JPG
    Ross 4X4.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Ross 4X4-1.JPG
    Ross 4X4-1.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Ross 4X4-2.JPG
    Ross 4X4-2.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Ross 4X4-3.JPG
    Ross 4X4-3.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Ross 4X4-4.JPG
    Ross 4X4-4.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Ross 4X4-5.JPG
    Ross 4X4-5.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Ross 4X4-6.JPG
    Ross 4X4-6.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Ross 4X4-7.JPG
    Ross 4X4-7.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 185
  • Ross 4X4-8.JPG
    Ross 4X4-8.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Ross 4X4-9.JPG
    Ross 4X4-9.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Ross 4X4-10.JPG
    Ross 4X4-10.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Ross 4X4-11.JPG
    Ross 4X4-11.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Ross 4X4-12.JPG
    Ross 4X4-12.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Ross 4X4-13.JPG
    Ross 4X4-13.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Ross 4X4-14.JPG
    Ross 4X4-14.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 169
  • Ross 4X4-15.JPG
    Ross 4X4-15.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Ross 4X4-16-Schematic.JPG
    Ross 4X4-16-Schematic.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Ross 4X4-17-Specs.JPG
    Ross 4X4-17-Specs.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Ross 4X4-18-Accessories.JPG
    Ross 4X4-18-Accessories.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Ross 4X4-19-Back.JPG
    Ross 4X4-19-Back.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Ross 4X4-Deck.JPG
    Ross 4X4-Deck.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 155
thank you for posting this. The manual was very helpful. I was trying to find the line level for this unit. If anyone has any additional documentation (like belt routing e.g.) I'd be very appreciative. I used the ross 4x4 unit extensively in the mid to late 80s. It was a no frills, sturdy workhorse that produced great results. I'm currently pulling some work off the unit using a TASCAM US-1800 and I needed to make sure I could use the line out into an XLR line in. The manual answered that question (yes). Thank you!

Back