RMT branded SM911 and SM900

WarmJetGuitar

Hey there!
Any of you know what's up with the new company producing the old BASF and AGFA formulas?
It's made in France so suppose it's still Pyral.
However has anyone tried it yet? I had some trouble with two reels of Pyral made SM911 a year ago, hopefully their quality control has improved.

RMGi is still available from Thomann, but guess it's just old stock?
These formulas are changing hands all the time it seems.

I hadn't heard of RTM (Recording The Masters). Is that the new branding for the RMG tapes, or is it a third party reselling them as own-brand? The LP90 is interesting - a long-play version of SM900 which I've never heard of before.

As you say, it sounds like it might well be Pyral having taken over rather than being an outsourced manufacturer. I'll have to see what they have for UK resellers - mine is still offering RMG, but that might just be until the stock currently in the channel is cleared.

Yeah, a long play version of the SM900 is a great idea indeed :-)

Gonna try and ask over at Gearslutz. They probably have strong opinions about it already :D I'll bring my saltshaker.

Hi! I came out of hibernation to comment on this thread. I'm on the market for 10+ reels of 1/4" tape and I just learned of the "Recording The Masters" brand a couple weeks ago.

Can anyone vouch for this brand? I'm curious to hear what other's experiences have been so far. I haven't bought any RMGI or Pyral products in a while and I was a steadfast ATR believer for 5+ years. But now I find I like SM468 better for a few reasons, some of which are purely aesthetic.

Hi! I came out of hibernation to comment on this thread. I'm on the market for 10+ reels of 1/4" tape and I just learned of the "Recording The Masters" brand a couple weeks ago.
Can anyone vouch for this brand? I'm curious to hear what other's experiences have been so far. I haven't bought any RMGI or Pyral products in a while and I was a steadfast ATR believer for 5+ years. But now I find I like SM468 better for a few reasons, some of which are purely aesthetic.

I can't vouch for RTM specifically. The RMG/Pyral tape was a bit flakey to begin with but I haven't had any problems with it this decade. I'm mixing to ATR but tracking to SM911 on 1/2" and SM900 on 2". No complaints.
I would assume that RTM is a rebranding exercise now that RMGI seem to have divested themselves of that product, much like how BASF spun their tape division off into EMTEC.

Hey James... been ages, good to have you back on HR if only for a while.

I'll run a session with it on Sunday and Monday and will report back. Had problems with RMGi tape in 2015 and wouln't risk it was the same badge still sold.

Hey James... been ages, good to have you back on HR if only for a while.
I'll run a session with it on Sunday and Monday and will report back. Had problems with RMGi tape in 2015 and wouln't risk it was the same badge still sold.

Did that ever happen? I've just gone to open a new RMGI SM900 and noticed it's actually RTM-branded. To be honest I'm not expecting it to be different to the Pyral stuff...

I've heard really good things about it over at Tapeheads.net. I bought a 7" reel of the LPR35 but haven't used it as my reel to reel has been giving me problems. Haven't heard anything negative.

Sorry for not giving a heads up before now but the tape was late so we ended up using old BASF SM911 for the session in question.
However I had a session later with the RTM SM911. For a start everything was golden but when we reached the last half of the tape things became a PITA. Had the bass drum on track one as usual and when playing back a take it dropped a great deal in volume during the song. After cleaning the heads again and playing the whole tape in real time to avoid uneven pack I gave it a new go and the problem was the same. Track 16 and 15 was problematic too however not to the same extent. Decided to move every instrument of the live tracking to the right, so I had the bass drum on track 2, etc. and things went better. Now it's only one of the two edge tracks crapping out and I'd been able to bounce myself out of most issues. One of the sketchy tracks have since then turned out to be fine again. Curious.

I realise edge track issues on 1/2" 16 track is normal but I don't have the same problem with older SM911, 468 or Quantegy 456. Really hope they're gonna sort this issue soon. However when working the sound are great and no worse than the BASF tapes.

I was just looking on Thomann's site for 1" tape for the Fostex G24S. When I had them reconditioned the engineer set them up for new RMG SM911. I have quite a bit of Quantegy 406 (NOS) and picked up some ZONAL 675 (2nd-hand off Ebay), but want to try a brand new SM911. Thomann have no RMG left but like DV247 are now selling RecordingTheMasters SM911. Studiospares have two reels of RMG SM911 left. Logic tells me that the Studiospares stock is probably at least 5 years old if not more? Would you order a reel of RTM SM911 from DV247? At £125 a reel, it's not something I want to get wrong.

Hi Doug,
Sorry been really busy and just been back here tonight. I just wanted to try a reel of 911 as the engineer who set up the machines said I should be able to hear a difference. PM if you want to sell a reel. Thanks Al

Bummer.
From the last two or three SM911 I ran the problem have been partially sorted. Still not as stable on the edge tracks as BASF SM911 but somehow acceptable, glad to see their quality control has improved.

BTW, Altruistica... I didn't know Zonal used to make 1" tape. How does it compare to SM911 or 456? And is the 675 a +6 tape? In that case I'll feed some to my G16 if I can get my hands on it.

Just lost a post grrrrr. The Zonal I think is a +3 tape. Just looked at the box and the recording says '2 track', length '3hours 15mins'. This is 1" tape on a 10.5" reel. What recorder would run that slow?

1" was used for logging recorders, e.g. the RACAL ICR64, which recorded 64 tracks on 1" tape at voice quality. Zonal 700 is +6 and I used to mix to it, but the newly-produced stuff seemed to be slightly sticky so I switched to RMG tape for that. I've also got some 1/2" Zonal tape which I think is +3 but the model number escapes me, might have been 820 or 840. I sometimes use that on the TSR-8, usually if I'm trying to do something more 60's oriented, on the theory that it'll saturate if I switch DBX off.

Back