Revox B77: What do you think?

The B77 uses 1/4" tape. If it's 4-track, that usually means 2-tracks (stereo) are available in each direction, i.e. you cannot record 4-track at a time on it. I sold a PR99 on eBay for a friend about 6-months ago. We got $250 for it (and both meters worked...)

Would it be any good for me?

In rap, we only have to playback an instrumental and mix it with the vocals. Then add the backvocals...

Should I consider using this as a mastering tool? (Using it only to add warmness to my sound)

Thanks for your reply Wil.

Thanks for the future replies in advance,
Beathoven
http://www.nowhereradio.com/beathoven/singles

Revox B77

A Revox B77 might be useful as a mixdown deck, but I wouldn't use it for tracking. Put another way: it's really built for recording two stereo tracks at once, not for overdubbing.

I don't believe it has any "simulsync" capability: that is, you can't monitor a previously recorded track from the record head while recording on the other track.

At least in its most common configuration, it's a quarter-track stereo deck that runs at 7-1/2 ips. This is a common enough set up (in fact, it's probably the most common type of reel to reel deck), but it's really optimized for use in a home stereo (it may sound incredible to some, but reel-to-reel decks were once pretty common in home stereos, where they'd sit on a shelf above the turntable).

I believe this model came in a half-track 15 ips version as well. This is the configuration that's commonly used for recording mixdowns from a multitrack (or for recording straight to stereo in one pass). It's still not the greatest tool in the toolbox for doing overdubs, though.

Back