Replacing the capstan drive belt on a Tascam 22-2

I've looked around for past threads about this and none that I have read go through the steps of replacing this belt.

I just got a really nice 22-2 yesterday and am really excited to get it running again. Everything except Play works and the unit is in amazing shape. I bought it from a guy who worked for Pepsi for almost 30 years and grabbed some of their audio equipment that they were getting rid of before he retired in the early 00's. Why Pepsi had these I can't say but it has no visible head wear and looks almost new.

I took the face and back off and it's pretty easy to see where the belt goes, it's just not obvious as to whether I should go in from the back or somehow take the transport partly off and put it on under it. Taking the transport off, even partly, seems too much for a belt replacement, and usually these machines have their belts situated for easy replacement so I'm thinking I would take the flywheel off through the back and see if I can get it around the capstan like that (see both pics included).

Has anyone had experience with this model, or know how to do this?

FullSizeRender 3.jpgIMG_0753.JPG

Anyone? Please! Help!

Haha. I talked to some guys at Tapeheads.com who have said that it's possible to replace the capstan drive belt only, by taking off the motor (or maybe the flywheel) in the back and putting it on that way. However, if the machine has been sitting long enough, it'll need new oil, or grease, or lube, or whatever the kids are saying these days, and you'll need to take off the headstock on the front in order to do all that and you can obviously replace both belts while yr at it.

Not sure what path I'm taking yet. Existential crisis.

Back