replacement for dead fostex

Ptron

I have a bunch of tapes that were recorded on a fostex x-something or other that is long dead. I need a cheap, used, replacement, basically just for dumping the tapes to my computer. It needs to have dual speeds and dbx. Any common models to watch out for? I've been sifting through ebay discriptions but they either don't have these features, don't say, or are big fancy newer (i.e. $$) models.

Ptron

You should check first, but I suspect that Fostex deck used Dolby B/C NR rather than dbx.

I didnt think fostex had anything with dbx on it. I thought all of their machines used dolby c

Herm said:
I didnt think fostex had anything with dbx on it. I thought all of their machines used dolby c

Yeah, you guys are right. I think it was C. I don't actually have the machine anymore to look at. I don't even remember the exact model but I'd know it if I saw it.

Ptron

Cassette, sorry.

2 more questions:

-Does anyone know if the fostex xr-5 plays at 1 7/8 ips or 3 1/2 ips?

-Does anyone know what type of noise reduction it has? The switch just says NR.

Some info missing from my first post.

I need a:

-4 track cassette
-with 4 direct tape outs
-plays at 3 3/4 ips
-Dolby B or C noise reduction(not super important(I think I used C if anything))

I don't care about input functions/features. I may never recoerd anything new wtih it. I just want to play old tapes.

Ptron

Back