Repair Parts “just in case” for a Tascam 244 and where to buy on Europe

Dreverb

Repair Parts “just in case” for a Tascam 244 and where to buy on Europe

Hello all, I am waiting for a Tascam 244 I found after looooong time ….
the thing is im almost new to this things
the seller says the Pinch Roller needs to be replaced.
I suppose the other rubber parts would be on the same situation, so, please, could someone help me to make a list of spare parts just in case? I would order from Spain, so Europe would be better.

Im also trying to find a place to buy some packs of blank tapes.

I’ve seen this on eBay, it seems right, please , could you confirm?

34,99 €

Service Kit*for*Tascam*Multitrack*
*Article condition : NEW
for Typ :*Portastudio 244*
Quantity / piece:**
** *1 x flat belt
*** 1 x square belt
*** 1 x pinch roller
** *1 x 10 ml glide bearing oil for motors and Capstan axis bearing

Service Kit 1 für Tascam Portastudio 244 Mehrspur-Aufnahme Recorder Multitrack | eBay

would it be ok to replace the head too?

REC/PLAY HEAD TEAC TASCAM 5378601200 new CASSETTE DECK PORTA PORTASTUDIO MIDI | eBay

anything else??
THANKS!!!!

It's fine in this forum. It's as analog as analog can get. :)

Yes, the belt/pinch roller kit looks like exactly what you'll need.

I would wait to see what the heads look like, as they usually don't need to be replaced. However, if you do need one, then the link you posted looks good to me.

Best of luck.

That repair kit is awesome! I did a belt replacement on my 244 last month and if there was a kit that included both belts and a pinch roller I would've been all over it. I had to buy mine piece by piece.

Let us know how the repair goes.

It is working! great! thanks to all, especially to the ones on the big post about repairing this machine.
Only thing is the little light of the second vumeter does not work, the meter reads fine. Maybe I broke it taking the front out...
is it hard to replace or find a new one?

Great! Glad you got it to work. :)

Regarding the meter bulb, I've never done it on a Tascam machine, but I did it on an Audio Technica AT RMX64. It wasn't too difficult. It was actually harder securing a part for it, but I managed to it with some online research.

Again, I haven't done that on a Tascam, but I did replace the idler tire on my above-mentioned AT unit. It wasn't terribly difficult, but it was a little time-consuming with regards to actually getting to it. I don't know if the Tascam will be the same (I'll find out soon enough, as I'll be performing the same procedure on my 246), but if so just make sure you take plenty of pictures along the way during the disassemble so you know how to put it back together.

Good luck!

Done,it was very easy following the guide of MZE-Electroarts Entertainment - MZEntertainment.com: Dr. ZEE WORKSHOP TASCAM-244 4-track Cassette Portastudio Restoration and Servicing Project
THANKS DR. ZEE if you read this...

the cost of the idler tires was 0.90 €.
I'm glad i did not ordered it on ebay...
If someone need some of this things and don't find it, feel free to contact (im not trying to sell anything)
I soldered the lamp too and works fine.
I made a quick test, and there is something special on this things. Love it. it is very relaxing recording without a computer.

have some questions, for if someone have the time to share some info....

Any recommendations about recording voice and acoustic guitar?
what about recording levels? I know it may not be calibrated after all this years, but it should be near to zero?

and the stop button really stopped working, :) I still can use pause or rewind to stop, can this actions hurt anything??
I don't have the service manual, so I don't know if I am brave enough to try to repair it...
also, what kind of product can be used to clean the rubber parts?
thanks anyway to all!

Last edited:
Hi Dreverb,

Great news to hear that you got it up and running! You should generally aim for a level between -3 and 0dB on the meters.

What kind of mics are you going to be using? Are they dynamic or condenser?

Regarding the rubber parts, you will hear all kinds of answers. Some people say to never use alcohol on them because they will dry them out. Other people say they always use alcohol on them, and the drying out isn't because of the alcohol; it's just something rubber does over time. Other people say to use Windex.

I tend to stick with conservative advice, which is just soapy water. I've never heard anyone say that it would hurt rubber, and it seems to do a fine job to me.

I'm not sure whether using pause as a stop will hurt anything or not. Maybe someone else will know.

I for one, refuse to use the Tascam rubber cleaning fluid.! Every time I've tried it, it makes the rubber gummy.

Then it takes 3 or 4 days of rubbing alcohol to un- gum it.

Baby wipes, not the ones with Alo Vera, just generic wipes work well. I just pull one out and let it dry a bit.

thanks again,
I want to record acoustic guitar and voice, but would like to use an echo, the classic ibanez delay, at the same time. Can someone tell me how it may be done? I still dont get how the Aux works....
thanks anyway

thanks again,
I want to record acoustic guitar and voice, but would like to use an echo, the classic ibanez delay, at the same time. Can someone tell me how it may be done? I still dont get how the Aux works....
thanks anyway

If you're wanting to "print" the effect, then do the following:

1. Plug your mic(s) into channel(s) 1 (or 1 and 2)
2. Connect the Aux Send L from the 244 to the input of the Ibanez.
3. Connect the output(s) of the Ibanez to channel(s) 3 (or 3 and 4 if it's a stereo delay).
4. Set the mix on the Ibanez to 100% wet.
5. Set the "Pre Off Post" switch(es) on your mic channel(s) to "Pre."
6. Pan the aux send knobs on your mic channel(s) to the left and turn up the send level (the Gain knob) until you're getting a good input level on your Ibanez.
7. Turn all Input switches to "Mic/Line" and pan the channels accordingly (left for track 1, right for track 2, etc.)
8. If you're recording to tracks 1 and 2 in stereo, channel 1 should be panned left, channel 2 should be panned right, and channel 3 (delay return L) should be panned to the left with channel 4 (delay return R) panned right. If you only have a mono delay return, then pan that channel where you'd like it to show up in the stereo field.
9. Control the level of the delay with channel 3 (and 4)'s faders.

Good luck!

great! thanks I owe you a few beers Mr. Beagle,
it sounds quite good with the delay, I almost see nebraska from my window..
I think i'll try all the other stompboxes I have, this is going to be funny... :)

well, not finished... :mad:
it does not erase well when recording, still hear previous takes...
i'm recording with CUE selected, may be a problem of the heads, right?

well, not finished... :mad:
it does not erase well when recording, still hear previous takes...
i'm recording with CUE selected, may be a problem of the heads, right?

Oh dang. That sucks. Yes I think that could be a problem with the heads, though I don't know for sure. :(

Back