Remote for TASCAM 388?

Thanks Reel. Also.

I have someone local that has a good condition 388 for sale. He asked me to come up with a fair asking price.

What would be a fair asking price?

One last thing. Whats the deal with the tape? I read that they will stop making tape. Is this true? Should I stock up now on whats available at musiciansfriend? Should I pay extra for that Red expensive Quantagy? Is it worth it? How much music can one put on a standard reel?

First off, local is the way to go and so congrats on that.:)

With regard to price, it's totally dependent on condition and you really need to know what to look for. You need to have the machine tested, including play and record. It'd be nice if you could bring a CDR of a couple of test tones. If the machine is in nice, average condition, then $400 - 500 would be an approximation, maybe less. If it's in rough shape then either offer about a couple of hundred less or skip it altogether (depending what is wrong and how easy it is to fix). If the machine is in above than average condition, then I'd pay upwards of 700 - 800 approx but I'd FIRST offer the seller a couple of hundred less and see what he says. Generally speaking though, about 500 seems about right for a good condition 388 and a bit more for a truly minty example with original manual etc.... DO bargain hard though, no matter the condition.

As for tapes, if your machine came with quantegy or maxells (especially if they're 1mil) then you're all set. If you don't have any tape, get a couple of these RMGI-EMTEC LPR 35, 1/4" x 1800' LPR35 on 7" Plastic Reel:
http://www.splicit.com/rmgi_tape.html

Remember you also need an uptake reel.

There's also new old stock eBay deals for Quantegy 457 / 407 and Maxell UD types but these either are difficult to find or bloody expensive (Maxell especially) and the Quantegy or RMGI are much better anyway.

Be prepared to clean the tape path thoroughly and also change the capstan belt and pinch roller. That's just a given on decades old gear.

-----

Tascam 388's go for roughly 500+shipping on ebay pretty often, give or take regarding condition. As Cjacek says, try and talk this guy down no matter what he tells you.

When you get to see it, you can try to check if the transport functions work. I just bought mine and play didn't work. This probably meant that the capstan motor or capstan belt wasn't working (my belt had actually fallen apart over time apparently). This seems to be a fairly common occurrence among 388's and other reel to reel's as well. If the unit is powered on, you can check the capstan motor by lifting the right most tape guide and listening for the motor. The 388 will require some maintenance but it pays off entirely.:)

If he lets you get at the 388, get it. They are a very fun piece of equipment. I have had mine for only a few days(working) and I can't get over how exciting it is. I've been mixing the same song over and over. It is now the heart of my studio.:)

thanks for the replies. i got the machine and did some test recordings. so far its working well. it seems to be in very nice shape. while bringing in from the car i hit the front right corner and totally banged up the laminate:( you cant se it unless you look at the corner but does anyone have any repair ideas?

one VU meter light is out. is it a pain to replace the lamp?

one question...can i use a mic calble that goes directly to line? or do the internal mic pres only work with the xlr inputs?

the machine came with a used reel of quantegy 456. i will probably order that rmgi tape tomorrow. can i get the 2500' reel? can i get a metal reel as well or is the plastic the only kind of reel i can use?

i already ordered the belt and pinch roller from tascam for routine replacement.

Thanks!

Tascam 388's go for roughly 500+shipping on ebay pretty often, give or take regarding condition. As Cjacek says, try and talk this guy down no matter what he tells you.

When you get to see it, you can try to check if the transport functions work. I just bought mine and play didn't work. This probably meant that the capstan motor or capstan belt wasn't working (my belt had actually fallen apart over time apparently). This seems to be a fairly common occurrence among 388's and other reel to reel's as well. If the unit is powered on, you can check the capstan motor by lifting the right most tape guide and listening for the motor. The 388 will require some maintenance but it pays off entirely.:)

If he lets you get at the 388, get it. They are a very fun piece of equipment. I have had mine for only a few days(working) and I can't get over how exciting it is. I've been mixing the same song over and over. It is now the heart of my studio.:)

I don't remember about the mike pres any more.

You can use whatever reel type you like. I used a plastic feed and a metal take-up on mine usually.

If it's one of the big master VU meters, changing the bulb is no picnic but is doable. Changing the bulbs on the channel VU's is such a pain that I quit doing it after a while.

Great machines, kind of fussy, butbuilt like tanks and actually less maintenance-prone than a lot of other more expensive pieces.

yeah its one of the channel VUs. damn. can u give me a brief rundown of what it entails?

I don't remember about the mike pres any more.

You can use whatever reel type you like. I used a plastic feed and a metal take-up on mine usually.

If it's one of the big master VU meters, changing the bulb is no picnic but is doable. Changing the bulbs on the channel VU's is such a pain that I quit doing it after a while.

Great machines, kind of fussy, butbuilt like tanks and actually less maintenance-prone than a lot of other more expensive pieces.

It's been several years since I had that machine and several more since I quit changing the channel bulbs. The big ones are a sort of cartridge lamp, IIRC, looking somewhat like, say, an amp fuse. Replacement was tricky but reasonably do-able.

However, the channel VU's involve practically tearing the insides of the meter bridge doghouse out and SOLDERING a new one in. Pop the top and look down there behind the meters and I think you'll see hwat I mean. There's a circuit board behind the meters that, as far as I could tell, had to come out.

Like I said, it's been some years since I did that. It's a cosmetic issue and a bit more than that if you're working in the almost completely dark.

thanks tom. do u think itwould be easier just to replace the whole meter?

I just received the RC-71 and it works well but Its too bad that theres not a zero return control on it. that would be very useful. what do you guys do as a way around the zero return?

After you load the tape on the take up reel hit the load button, The reels will turn forward and load about a minutes worth of tape on the reel.
And thats it. The machine will not go past zero till you turn the load function off. Isnt that a great machine?

Back