Reel to Reel Wow and Flutter problem

diskobox

im experiencing a lot of wow and flutter from my Tascam TSR-8 Reel to Reel, what could be the problem?

i thought it might be the tape because there seems to be a lot of 'pack slip' / uneven winding, and i don't have another tape to test, could this be the problem?

the wow and flutter isn't constant, it is reasonable one minute and then can get very noticeable the next,

cheers

A tape that has the early stages of Sticky Shed Syndrome would be the most likely culprit.

Clean the entire tape path, ( head's, guides, roller and lifters), and try it with a fresh, new roll of tape and the problem should disappear.

Cheers! :)

thanks very much!!!

i am in the uk and find it easy to get isopropul (however u spell it) alcohol, for the tape heads, but i believe you need something different for the rubber components??

diskobox said:
thanks very much!!!

i am in the uk and find it easy to get isopropul (however u spell it) alcohol, for the tape heads, but i believe you need something different for the rubber components??
There are specialized rubber cleaners and conditioners out there in the market but, you can also use warm, soapy water too as a quick fix, rather then waiting for a bottle of Caig Caikleen RBR to arrive in the mail.

..and finally, when i have the caikleen do i just rub the pinch roller etc with a cotton swab like i would the tape heads?

thanks

diskobox said:
..and finally, when i have the caikleen do i just rub the pinch roller etc with a cotton swab like i would the tape heads?

thanks
Cotton swabs can leave behind fiber strands that can get embedded into the rubber's grain so in stead, I would suggest a fresh, pliable, foam swab, available at many drug stores.

It's also a good idea to remove the pinch roller when doing this job as the chemicals in the rubber cleaner can do damage to the lubricants on the metal surfaces of the roller assembly. If you can not remove the roller, be extra cautious when performing this task to avoid slopping around the cleaner on parts not intended to be the target.

Back