Reel to Reel question (recording over stuff)

jay Burd

You shouldn't be able to hear the old recording so this implies that the erase head isn't doing its job. Have you tried cleaning it thoroughly? Is the tape making proper contact with the erase head?

You shouldn't be able to hear the old recording so this implies that the erase head isn't doing its job. Have you tried cleaning it thoroughly? Is the tape making proper contact with the erase head?
hm. can you help me identifying the erase head? thanks

Cleaning is the most likely solution but, as tape formulations got ever hotter, able to handle more level, some machines, admittedly mainly cassette, could not fully erase the tape. The only solution in such a case was to keep levels low.

But also clean the whole tape path, a bit of clagg upstream of the erase head could push the tape a fraction of a mm off the erase head, also check for 'weave'.

Dave.

If you record silence over a test recording, does the old recording come through faintly, or at something like its original volume? If the old recording comes through fairly clearly, I'd assume that the erase head isn't working at all. If the '22 is anything like the '32, there will be a relay to control whether the erase head is active, and it may have got stuck.

If the original recording is faint, that would suggest either that the erase head is dirty/not making contact, or that it is being given insufficient signal from the bias oscillator (on the A807 this is an adjustment pot - on the '32, C134 -might- perform a similar function, but this isn't documented, and in any case probably not the same component number as on the '22!)

Cleaning is the most likely solution but, as tape formulations got ever hotter, able to handle more level, some machines, admittedly mainly cassette, could not fully erase the tape. The only solution in such a case was to keep levels low.

Well...if your machine is able to record on the hotter tape formulations...if it can be biased for them...then it should be able to also erase them.
Now if your talking about pinning the VU needles with level, well, at that point it's probably well into distortion.

Of course, if you're bringing in a hotter tape that was recorded elsewhere, and then trying to erase/record with a deck that normally doesn't use that tape formulation, that's a mismatch from the git-go.

Yeah...either the erase head has a lot of crud on it, or like jpmorris said, it's not even turning on, so it could be just that.

"Well...if your machine is able to record on the hotter tape formulations...if it can be biased for them...then it should be able to also erase them."

I wouldn't bet on that Mr M. But yes, it depends HOW bad the OP's erase function actually is.

Dave.

Read up on the specs for the tape formulation and it should be fine on the Tascam 22, the formulation is the same as the old Emtec 911, which in turn was similar to the Ampex 456 only better lasting. Link to specs.

It would only be a tape problem if the Tascam 22 was way out of calibration. Most likely the erase head is very dirty or not working at all.

Alan.

"Well...if your machine is able to record on the hotter tape formulations...if it can be biased for them...then it should be able to also erase them."

I wouldn't bet on that Mr M. But yes, it depends HOW bad the OP's erase function actually is.

Dave.

I'm talking about a functional machine...if it's made for hot tape, it should erase it without issue.
Anything not functioning as it should is a different conversation.

For identifying the erase head, it is usually a black surface on a white plastic shell. The record and playback heads tend to be more metallic-looking. But I would still like to know what happens when you deliberately record over something with silence, as that will help narrow the problem down.

I've Seen It Before

You have had some good suggestions...tape formulations, dirty erase heads, even tape speed can affect the ability to re-sort the magnetic particles on the tape. The best erasing process is basically a dedicated tape eraser that de-gauzes the entire tape. If you don't have one, or you're concerned about what else is on the tape, your next best bet is to run the tape section that is to be erased at a slower speed. If that doesn't do it, reverse the tape and run the tape on record with no input. Sometimes, if there is music on the backside of the tape (1, 3 go one way and 2 and 4 go the other.) it's possible to get bleedover from a recording that was recorded a bit hot on the back side. This will also cover the problem of the erase and record heads not being perfectly in line so that the erase "track" doesn't quite match the erase track. Hope this helps...

When I go to record over stuff on my tape and then play back I hear a mixture of the two songs. So I can still hear the old stuff under the new stuff. I always thought I could reuse tape but maybe this is not true? Do I really have to buy a new reel of tape every time I am mastering a new project? Thanks for Help!

using a tascam 22-2 + this tape (RMGI-North America LPR35 34511 1 4 x 1800 ft LPR35 Audio Recording Tape on 7 Plastic Reel | Full Compass)

J[/QUOTE]

All Teac machines that I have worked on can erase the tape of today. They can record on them too. Some of them if set up right will work fine. Just because you have a plus 9 tape on the machine does not mean you record at that level. Teac decks are meant for 200nWb/M and some 250 nWb/M flux density with a few 1/2 track upper decks for 370nWb/M flux. You need a Studer to do 520 or 570nWb/M and it won't be running at 3.75 IPS.

Lack of erase that I see and I see a lot of machines is due to lack of correct cleaning of the erase head- the erase head is first and so will collect more dirt than the other or even pile up oxide due to a new tape. If after being cleaned it does not erase then the voltage level should be checked with a scope. Decay of oscillator level has to do with levels at the power supply of the oscillator circuit. Put new Electrolytics in the power supply and Bias circuit and it might resolve the problem. If some yahoo when and adjusted the erase heads then the erase tracks may not be lined up with the record heads position or maybe the record head has been moved. People adjust head screw all the time adjusting by ear and expect to have an improvement- in 45 years I have never seen one come in the shop that was right. If you do NOT know how to adjust the heads correctly- DO NOT TOUCH THEM.

Back