Reel to Reel question

lukeslim

Hi folks this is my first post so be kind. :D
I play acoustic blues so can get by with a couple of channels.
I have played around with a good stereo video.
Recorded into the unit via
my desk a PA desk(studiomaster) than put it in my computer to edit a bit than burn a cd.We got a good result.I was given a Sony TC 755A
Reel to Reel to play around with. Would it sound as good or better than a video tape?As my girlfriend is not to pleased when i use the video machine in our kitchen blues sessions.
And I don't really have a clue as how to set it up ie;Tape settings on the unit
speeds ,line in or mic inputs tape bias setting etc.As it didn't not come with a manaual although have a dozen reels of new tape (BASF 4inch DP 26) Can i use it as looks like the unit was made for 10.5 & 7 inch reels?
Hope you guys can give me some info.
Thanks & Cheers Luke.

The smaller reels should be fine to use as they are easier on the transport mechanism to start and stop. Their only shortcoming would be the shorter record time which at faster speeds like 7.5 ips, (inches per second), they may only last for a couple of songs before you have to change reels.

As for what inputs to use; Use the Line inputs and feed the output of your mixer into them.

Keep an eye on the recording levels and try to keep the peaks around +3Vu on the meters and the average program content around 0Vu and that should ensure that the tape hiss remains in the background, behind the music.

Sound quality wise, you'll probably find that Sony adds it's own character to the sound and won't sound as flat as a VCR because it's frequency response curves vary depending on tape speed, tape formulation and recording level. The sound itself though should sound fuller and warmer then the VCR did and because it doesn't use AGC or Automatic Gain Control to mind the levels, the dynamics of the loud to quiet parts of the music will breath more naturally on the Sony.

Good luck with your projects!

Cheers! :)

Back