Reel to Reel: which one should I choose?

sobredosis

Hi, I've been doing home recordings with my Tascam 414 portastudio and now I want to make a step to a Reel to reel multritrack recorder.
I've checked some of the articles I've found online and I want to know which one should I choose:

Phillips 4404
grabador-philips-4404-cinta-abierta-funcionando-perfectament-3916-MLA4883203901_082013-F.jpg

Pioneer Model Rt 1020l
grabador-cinta-abierta-pioneer-model-rt-1020l-15349-MLA20101151637_052014-F.jpg

Akai Gx-210d
grabador-y-reproductor-de-cinta-abierta-akai-gx-210d-4197-MLA2758443685_062012-F.jpg

Akai 4000 Db
cinta-abierta-akai-4000-db-graba-y-reproduce-impecable-731201-MLA20284281251_042015-F.jpg

Akai X-355 Solid State
akai-x-355-solid-state-grabadora-de-cinta-abierta-17756-MLA20142825399_082014-F.jpg

All are around $4800 Argentine pesos... something like US $520
Any advice?
Thanks!

Julián

Their nothing special but I'm drooling all the same. I'd love to have any of those. Can't give you any advice as I want to start learning about these machines. Good luck with your buy.

The Pioneer gives you the option of using 10" reels, and is most likely a higher end machine than the others.

Hi, I've been doing home recordings with my Tascam 414 portastudio and now I want to make a step to a Reel to reel multritrack recorder.

Julián

None of those are Mutitrack recorders. You could mix down your 4 track to those, but not use them as a multitrack.

None of those are Mutitrack recorders. You could mix down your 4 track to those, but not use them as a multitrack.

Just what I've suspected, since it only has 2 vumeters and 2 inputs... I'm a newbie in all this, and thought that maybe they were multitrack just because it reads "4 track" hahah... thank you man!

They sort of are "4 track". 2 stereo tracks in one direction, then when you flip the tape, you have another 2 stereo tracks.

But they only record in stereo. Two tracks at a time.

You need a dedicated 4 tracks in one direction machine.

If you want a 4 track reel to reel for multi-tracking look for the following models:

Teac A-3340S
Tascam 3440, 22-4, 34, 34B, 44, ATR60-4
Fostex A-4
Otari, 5050 - 4 track version

Google those to see pics and specs.

PROTIP:

Once you get one of those, you'll also need a mixer and cables to go with it along with noise reduction units if you don't want to hear tape hiss.

Cheers! :)

What kind of music are you making? Is four tracks going to be enough, or might it be worth looking at an 8-track deck of some kind?

Yes 8 tracks would be the logical progression if you have been working with 4.
Going from 4 track cassette to 4 track R to R may give a bit better sound quality but you are still limited to 4 tracks with added tape cost.

Go eight!
:-)

How much more fidelity would a consumer reel to reel from the 60s/70s have over a Portastudio made in the late 90s?

Only, you could fill up all four tracks on your portatape, bounce them to a reel to reel, then bounce them back to two tracks of a fresh tape on your porta. That would leave you two tracks for overdubs

Something like

Portastudio tape 1

Track 1: Drums
Track 2: Drums
Track 3: Bass
Track 4: R. Gtr

Bounce in stereo to reel to reel, then back to the portastudio. Result

Track 1: Rhythm Mix Left
Track 2: Rhythm Mix Right
Track 3: Lead Guitar
Track 4: Vocal

Of course, if you wanted more than 6 tracks you could always record something less important that lead guitar and vocal on the last two tracks and bounce again. It worked for George Martin and The Beatles.

I made the same transition years ago from a cassette based 4-track to the Tascam 38. It's a 8-track, 1/2" reel to reel at 15ips. I think the first mixer I used with it was a Mackie 1604-VLZ. Made TONs of demos with that setup. Later moved to a Soundtracs Topaz and some nicer outboard gear but that Tascam 38 is still around. Do most of my stuff in the box these days, but every once in a while I'm tempted to get that old Tascam 38 out when I'm doing some "old timey" music. Just something about tape I guess. They pop up every once in a blue moon for decent prices. Mine has the noise reduction outboard stuff too. Not bad at all... I also know there are 1/4" 8-track but know nothing about them. Fostex made one I believe. Oh, and 8-tracks is plenty for 90% of the "real" bands I've ever worked with.

I made the same transition years ago from a cassette based 4-track to the Tascam 38. It's a 8-track, 1/2" reel to reel at 15ips. I think the first mixer I used with it was a Mackie 1604-VLZ. Made TONs of demos with that setup. Later moved to a Soundtracs Topaz and some nicer outboard gear but that Tascam 38 is still around. Do most of my stuff in the box these days, but every once in a while I'm tempted to get that old Tascam 38 out when I'm doing some "old timey" music. Just something about tape I guess. They pop up every once in a blue moon for decent prices. Mine has the noise reduction outboard stuff too. Not bad at all... I also know there are 1/4" 8-track but know nothing about them. Fostex made one I believe. Oh, and 8-tracks is plenty for 90% of the "real" bands I've ever worked with.

I'll second the Tascam 8-track 1/2" decks as a nice option. I bought a working 58 with a gooey pinch roller for $200 here in Denmark. They are more rugged and the electronics sound better than the equivalent Fostex decks.

What kind of music are you making? Is four tracks going to be enough, or might it be worth looking at an 8-track deck of some kind?

I'm doing all kind of music...from classical music compositions in piano to indie rock.. sometimes I record with my band, sometimes alone in a small room.
I would love to buy a 8-track, but costs about the same as a Fiat Uno.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I guess I'll have to wait until the right appears, and not rush to the first option

I think you should go for a eight or 16 track by either Fostex or Tascam. My experience with Tascam is very limited but most of their machines do have a good reputation.

As for Fostex there's a handfull of eight tracks. The advantage with those is that they run 1/4" tape which can be had for cheap if you're patient or lucky and a new reel from RMGI ain't that pricey.

A8: The first one from around '81. I've working on the A4 which sounds great but they're damm old now so finding one in good condition might be a challenge.

E8: Everybody seems to love it. Havn't tried it myself.

Model 80: I've worked countless hours on my M80 and still have it. Well build and reliable.

R8: Most recent one. Sounds good but has shitty plastic transports. Mine started damaging the tape and out it went. Avoid this one unless you got access to a 3D printer and can make your own metal replacements for the most critical plastic parts.

As for the 16 tracks I love the Fostex G16. Sounds great, very reliable and the electronics sounds very good and don't crap out even on very high levels. I always use it without Dolby C and record on hot levels.

This article is very usefull as for judging the condition of a used machines although it mostly focused around 2-track machines and more high end 2" 24 tracks:
Buying A Used Tape Machine

Back