Reel-To-Reel in Movies

Dr ZEE

Anti-Pro Circles Insider
while ago I was watching x-files (not really watching... it was sort of like a "side-order"... tv-is-on, while you are around, so I don't even remeber which episode was it), but the moment when Mulder was sitting between two fostex-r8s working hard at night..heh heh , kinda' stocked in my mind,
anyway, today I was just searching things on the net and found THIS CLOLLECTION
:D

/respects

Last edited:
Yeah, that!

I've noticed that myself, and I posted here a long time ago that "Reel to Reel" in the "industry" have become nothing more than "movie props". I've seen them used as props in Hip Hop videos, too, where the "Mc/Dj" was spinnin' the reels by hand like a turntable "scratchin". Honestly, it was kinda funny.

I've seen the X-files also, where the Tascam 34 was used as a prop, like,... "ooh, a wierd alien tape drive!" :eek:

Last edited:
A few months ago, when those Marilyn Monroe tapes were found, CBS was playing them back on a Tascam 22-2, which they showed spinning as snippets of the audio were played.

I was hoping this would make the 22-2 a Monroe collector’s item, but I haven’t seen it take off yet. :cool:

This could be a better angle on eBay than the “Church pastor owned it” thing. :)

Attachments

• marilyn.jpg
    marilyn.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 82
what amused me the most was that somebody would go through all the trouble to collect this stuff, making screen shots, saving files, making the web-page , researching the models!!!! :cool: ..heh heh :)
From the top of my memory ... I think there are some hot nude r-t-r episodes in The Arrival movie with Charlie ... if I remeber correctly ???? he was using some maybe tsr-8 or msr-16(s) .... some black faced multitrack machines in his "home studio" btw.... remember when he was forced to go "independent" to continue his research ...LOL :p
now here's funny thing. I was looking at this X-Files shot from that collection... and I say: "Wait a minute! hmmmm ... this looks like Mulder got his r8s off e-bay and manuals were not included.... :D :p :D "
correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think this is right.... (I never had this machine, but here's an "official" shot
here I've lightened up the image to see the tape better:

Attachments

• xfiles.gif
    xfiles.gif
    62.6 KB · Views: 70
Would you guys like to see me nude with my recorders? :D

I wish I had one of those black fostex reels for my R8 :(

Someday the world will be clammering (spelling?) to our doors to use or at least touch our Reel to Reel recorders. It will be like the king tut exspo only bigger. And they will ask us how we became so wise as to reject the digital blight that has cast a dark cloud on the audio world.
They will hear someday, They will hear.

Or maybe not ;)

Last edited:
Dang now I am hurt. I had put a lot of thought into the correct lighting and perfect pose.

It would have been a thing of beauty.

Herm said:
Dang now I am hurt...
Heh heh. Sorry, man, but this is analog forum: say it as it is, no feel good soft ball here. So you should of know better when asking. :D :D :D

Great link!

One other movie he missed is "The Arrival" with Charlie Sheen. It looked to me like Tim's recorder, the TSR-8 in the background. ;)

cjacek said:
One other movie he missed is "The Arrival" with Charlie Sheen. It looked to me like Tim's recorder, the TSR-8 in the background. ;)
yeah! :D Charlie in The Attic.... or was it basement? no it was some kinda' house? :D

The take-up reel has the Tascam style windage holes, while the supply reel has the standard Ampex/Quantegy style.

Can't tell what it is, but it's more than 8 tracks.

i think we all should rent that movie... and while we are there, check the rest of Charlie's random stack of gear :)... see what else he got there. Some silly stuff can be dicovered... hmmm, things like: recorder is playing something, but not being connected to anything... things like that :D
...and then later we 'd come back for another gear-in-movies "analysis" session. :rolleyes:

"The Conversation" with Gene Hackman is a classic. There are a lot of decks in it that I didn't recognize. Great movie.

Attachments

• Conversation.jpeg
    Conversation.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back