Reel Mixing

belyo

There has been loads of information on this subject already, and some of it has helped, but not my specific situation, or i just didn't understand it. I'd like to keep my music analogue for as long as possible in the process. I have a Fostex R8, with board and i'd like to basically (all things being equal) to run all 8-tracks of a tape into a machine (re-set up everything downstairs) and concentrate on mixing old stuff when i don't fell like recording new stuff. Then, eventually output to CD. What, in the analogue realm, would best help me work that way?

thanks,

B

i'd like to be able to tranfer all 8-tracks analogue, so that after listening to it a month later, if i feel like this sound needs to be louder/softer, i don't have to stop what i'm doing, reload the old reels, find the song, and re-mix the whole thing. Sounds like i need another 8-track recorder of some kind, that isn't a reel-to-reel...

belyo said:
i'd like to be able to tranfer all 8-tracks analogue, so that after listening to it a month later, if i feel like this sound needs to be louder/softer, i don't have to stop what i'm doing, reload the old reels, find the song, and re-mix the whole thing. Sounds like i need another 8-track recorder of some kind, that isn't a reel-to-reel...

I think if that's what you're after, you should dump all 8 tracks into a computer and mix the tracks on the computer. That way your mixes are fully recallable and can be accesses immediately.

Raw-Rracks, do you know if there is a non-$600 dollar way to do that. i was checking out some of those m-audio things, and i may be able to get by with a 4/6-in, but i'd rather not limit myself...

belyo said:
It sounds like what you need is a mixer with total recall automation which can store exact fader, send and eq positions tied to a SMPTE time code system which moves the faders in real time to how you did your mixdown originally.

These systems offer a rehearsal, write and play mode to tweak your mixes now or 20 years from now when you wish to fine tune an old mix.

Companies like SSL, Neve, Trident and Sony Oxford offer systems like this starting for around $400,000.00 dollars.

Cheers! :)

I think for what you want to do you could pick up the m audio delta 1010.
It will allow you to transfere 8 analog tracks into the computer and mix to you hearts content. But they do cost about 450.00.
Its about the cheapest way of doing what you want. plus the m audio stuff sounds pretty good. (For digital that is)

belyo said:
Raw-Rracks, do you know if there is a non-$600 dollar way to do that. i was checking out some of those m-audio things, and i may be able to get by with a 4/6-in, but i'd rather not limit myself...

I'm pretty sure that your Fostex has unbalanced -10db outputs. If that is the case, you could go with the M-Audio Delta-1010LT PCI card. That will give you the 8 anlaog inputs you require. It comes bundled with some software that will probably allow you do mix. I think you'll probably want to get some better software though. You should be able to pick the card up for about $200.

http://midiman.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT-main.html

That's got to be the cheapest way to do what you want.

Back