Redneck Sound Studio- can garbage be your friend? (.....I'm needing ideas)

Well....... I started unpacking today..... I filled the room with anything I could find.... boxes bags,I even found a couple of extra rugs out in the shed(one with a really bad brown stain..... who knows what that is.....)

IMG_2202.JPG

It does sound a lot better....

Tomorrow is cabling.....

Well....... I started unpacking today..... I filled the room with anything I could find.... boxes bags,I even found a couple of extra rugs out in the shed(one with a really bad brown stain..... who knows what that is.....)

View attachment 98966

It does sound a lot better....

Tomorrow is cabling.....

That's a cool pic, Brad...I'm a little jealous. :o

I'm with RFR: I'd love to record some drums in there. The room has visual personality and I bet sonic personality too. Congrats. Enjoy it. You've paid your dues I think. :D

Wow!!!! I just played with moving the mics around!!! That is cool!! I have never has enough room to do this before..... I just kept monitoring my guitar and moved high and low, in and out. It was awesome how different the guitar sounded. ....yeah.... I know this is basic, but just picture me with the headphones on with a goofy grin on my face going "whoa....ho.......ho......."

....beer may or may not have been involved........:drunk:

Wow!!!! I just played with moving the mics around!!! That is cool!! I have never has enough room to do this before..... I just kept monitoring my guitar and moved high and low, in and out. It was awesome how different the guitar sounded. ....yeah.... I know this is basic, but just picture me with the headphones on with a goofy grin on my face going "whoa....ho.......ho......."

....beer may or may not have been involved........:drunk:

There aren't a lot of things more fun than that. Performers will move around the MIC, so can be part of the bag o' tricks, also

I guess a lot depends on how many instruments need to be recorded and how much space they require.

Years ago the Texas Dept. of Mental Health and Mental Retardation (the state asylum!) was court-ordered to produce a training video on why it was so darned important when staff was changing shifts to see if the client had already got his meds or not. (Gee, I wonder what happened??)

They hired me to voice the audio and recorded me in some kind of gym! But the desk with mic was against a wall and they placed three tall panels around me so I was literally boxed in. Worked OK for that.

In my studio in MN I have panels to put around me and also a "U" shaped enlcosure for the mic. The soft wood floors and roof with a 45 degree angle helped as well.

BTW, I was at the asylum when someone pulled the fire alarm.....

A lot of good replies and I didn't read all. Disagree about leaving the floor untreated. Definitely Rugs or just cheap pieces of scrap carpet. You didn't say but if you are using a low wattage amp, tube, like 4 or 5 to 15 the echo can be your friend. Use it by mic positioning. Vocally if the room sound is too intrusive--and I have the same issue--you can treat just the vocal mic itself to dampen room reflections. Looks like a low ceiling. To keep boxy returns into the mic, drape a folded wash clothe over the mic. Lots of things you can do and I'd rather have your problem than mine.

Thanks!!! Folded washcloth eh???? I'll do some experimenting with that today!!!

We are tearing out the carpet in the house this spring. when we get around to doing that, I'll start putting together a more elegant type of sound dampening/controlling plan for my room/studio. Until then, I'm stuffing all the shelves full o stuff......

I have 1/2' and 1' soft foam scraps in my music room. I just hold it up to my ear and move it about the same way I direct or block sound with my hand to see what might work. I'd want something more effective than Speaker grill cloth, though. I know pillows can be good ! I don't have any nice mics, but I use it with my LDCs and 1 and 2 element ribbon mics and I use it on the deck top, around computer & MIC when doing speaker telephone recordings, and in front of my small guitar amps, etc..

90-pct of the time I don't need it. hahah Just right now, there is a fly or bee making one hell of a racket

A few years ago I recorded a vocal group in my large "L" shaped kitchen, dining, living room that has hardwood floors and sheetrock on all the walls with most of the ceiling sloping from 8 to 12 feet. Lots of air to move in that area! Careful micing and it worked out great, natural sounding. I would rather go big than boxy if possible. With all that shelving on one side and no budget you might try the local Goodwill or consignment shops for lots of cheap pillows for damping (just stuff the shelves full) and lots of books for diffusion. They might be real happy to part with some "not best sellers". You might even find one to read. ;)

Thank you all for all your suggestions. The shelves are packed with anything I can find. It deadened the room quite a bit.

I'm all set up and ready to go for my favorite month of the year. February is my song writing month. I happened upon FAWM.ORG | February Album Writing Month , and it has led me down all sorts of rabbit trails including home recording.

Thanks again Sweetbeats for your video!! It was instrumental in getting me re-setup and going with the mobile desk. I honestly couldn't be doing this without all y'all's help.

Now....... On to February!!!!!!!

Brad

Back