Recording with a tascam 22-2

jasaab

Newbie to reel to reel tape world. I have a tascam 22-2 that i picked up and got it working mechanically. However when I go to record/playback the audio volume is very low. I cleaned the heads and bought some new tape. The VU meters in the record and playback mode seem to respond appropriately and to input line adjustment in the record mode. Just low volume in both the record and play mode (as I toggle back and forth with monitor buttons.

Any suggestions?

Yes tape is in the correct way. Does the appropriate VU meter readings in record and playback mode indicate that the heads are not the source of the problem, that it maybe more with the electronics?.

Yes, I missed that the VU was apparently reading sensibly. That is interesting. That would imply that the output stages are working OK. Let me get this straight, are you saying that if you feed a signal in with it set to monitor the input, the volume is OK. If you set the monitor to record/sync or repro, the volume drops?

What kind of signals are you feeding in, anyway? A test tone is probably best since it will hold the meters steady as you switch between modes. Regular audio will be a bit random in its volume level.

Yes, I missed that the VU was apparently reading sensibly. That is interesting. That would imply that the output stages are working OK. Let me get this straight, are you saying that if you feed a signal in with it set to monitor the input, the volume is OK. If you set the monitor to record/sync or repro, the volume drops?

What kind of signals are you feeding in, anyway? A test tone is probably best since it will hold the meters steady as you switch between modes. Regular audio will be a bit random in its volume level.

I am putting CD musci input. Both the audio when i toggle the tape monitor between record and playback bot are low volume, yet the VU metters ae reading stong signals. The input adjustment also seems to work ok when i look at the meters. I just get low audio volumes in record and playback mode.

Back