Recording with a Otari MX5050 MKIII

stinkey diver

Hi all,

I have recently bought a pretty excellent condition MX5050 8 track and want to do some recording with it. So far i've only done analog recording with my little akai 1800l 1/4" 4 track and have limited knowledge when it comes to recording with something like an otari. Basically I know i need a preamp beacuse the otari only has line in's but I'm stuck on what sort of mixer to get. I don't want to spend to much if possible but I also don't want to waste money buying something that wont let me do what i need to. Who else out there is recording with an otari? I need some help! Thanks.

P.S if there is anything here that looks good give me the heads up ;)

I record with one, it's the arcade style that I believe that yours is. There's a lot of stuff that comes with setting it up. Make sure it's all calibrated and such and have fun resoldering your cables! Oh, and be sure to get a manual. A 300 page manual! It's a great machine, but it's different than recording with say a Tascam/Teac unit. I might pair it up with a Tascam 312 or 316. Nice all around boards that can be had for a song, nice enough pres, pretty okay EQs, decent line mixing, and direct outs on every channel, which is a definite perk.

-scott/cavetone

Thanks for your reply. Do you think instead of rewiring cables i could say get one of these xlr male to male adapters and resolder them instead? That way i could just have 8 of them plugged into the back of the otari and not worry about cables etc..

You can buy a decent TASCAM 1600, 2500, or 2600 series for chump change on e-Bay. Just be careful and do your homework.

An eight buss board will work wonderfully with this machine, or any eight track machine. Plenty of routing options on the TASCAMS.

I don't want to say they're giving them away, but for what they cost new, they practically are.

If you buy anything less that a four buss make sure it has direct outs and tape returns on each channel. You can use inserts for outs, but there goes your dynamics processing if you need to print it. If you don't get any tape returns you'll use another eight channels from the mixer in a split configuration.

I like in-line myself.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think instead of rewiring cables i could say get one of these xlr male to male adapters and resolder them instead? That way i could just have 8 of them plugged into the back of the otari and not worry about cables etc..

Not sure about that, I'm not sure which pinout they are and if those can be opened. Resoldering XLRs is cake, just swap pins two and three.

Back