Recording a little flat? Tascam 388

Wesleymino

My recorded signal is coming out a little flat. The other day I recorded a long synth tone on the 388 and I noticed that it sounded slightly different on playback. I played the same note from the synth while playing back the recorded signal, and they were noticeably out of tune.

So I'm not sure how to assess the problem here....tape drag? Weak motors? Don't tell me this is just the magic of tape... I've only been using tape for a little under a year now so bear with me. Hell, maybe it doesn't matter since I make weird electronic music. The difference is somewhat minor, so I might not have noticed it in the course of overdubbing lots of synth tones with different timbres. But I would like my machine to be running as well as it can.

One thing I thought of: I'm using 456. Some people here say that's too thick for the 388, so maybe it's straining a little. I ordered some 457 today, just to be sure. But what do you guys think?

That's not the magic of tape.

You should not notice a difference in pitch between live and playback.

There's lot of posts to check - if you do a search on this forum for
"tape speed 388"

There are posts with some things you can check.

the machine has pitch control. Just a guess here... double check, that somehow you did not do your recording with pitch control 'activated' (I am not sure, but there maybe be a push button on/off).

The belt may need to be replaced.

The main/capstan belt is usually what causes pitch issues,... simple as that!;)

Is your tape new 456 or old 456. Could be the tape is dragging if it is old tape. Could be sicky. Also is the pinch roller clean and supple. Make sure it doesnt have a lot of tape oxide built up on it allowing the tape to slip.
But it probably is the capstan belt like Reel mentioned. And if thats it, Its a real easy fix.

Thanks, from your replies I'm guessing it's the belt, and not the tape stock (new) or pitch control (zeroed). Pinch roller / tape path are clean. I found one of Dave's old posts about changing the belt, I'm gonna give that a shot.

By the way, anybody know about what size the 388 belt is supposed to be, and could maybe suggest a source for those? I know the one in mine is probably gonna be stretched a little bit. Thanx again for your help dudes!

Just call tascam and tell them what you want and they can fix you right up.
It takes longer to get the bottom off with all those screws than it does to change the belt.

The number is 323 727-4840

The old belt number used to be 5800698200. But they will be able to use that number to help you out. The price will probably be around 20 buck with shipping

Back