Recommended Mixer

Blackdog.sn said:
Hello,
I've got a Tascam 22-4, and i need a mixer capable of outputting to all 4 tracks. Do you guys have any suggestions for cheap mixer for this. So for i've looked at:

Yamaha 10/2 -----which i don't think i can output 4 tracks, or monitor 4 tracks. (please tell me if i am wrong)

Yamaha 12/4 -----this seems like a safe bet, but its kind of tight squeeze money wise (im a student :( )

Edit: Mackie 1202 VLZ-PRO -----I've also looked at few of these (used), and they seem to have all the functionality.... any good?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think what I would do is go with an 8-channel board, but a very, very good board. Since you are only using 4-tracks, a super good 8-channel mixer is a ton cheaper ($$$) than a big board (16-32 channel). In this pricerange, I would buy the best sounding and quality board out there. Look at A&H, Soundcraft etc. A great used 8-ch board will not cost a fortune, but you will be a ton happier when you start to do things like bounce down tracks. This is one of those times that I would not skimp at all.

Quantagee said:
I think what I would do is go with an 8-channel board, but a very, very good board. Since you are only using 4-tracks, a super good 8-channel mixer is a ton cheaper ($$$) than a big board (16-32 channel). In this pricerange, I would buy the best sounding and quality board out there. Look at A&H, Soundcraft etc. A great used 8-ch board will not cost a fortune, but you will be a ton happier when you start to do things like bounce down tracks. This is one of those times that I would not skimp at all.

I would love to nab a Soundcraft, but they are quite out of my price range. Any thoughts about the Teac 5? (Thanks for the suggestion Doc but the guy only ships to the US :mad: )

Blackdog.sn said:
I would love to nab a Soundcraft, but they are quite out of my price range. Any thoughts about the Teac 5? (Thanks for the suggestion Doc but the guy only ships to the US :mad: )

Teac 5 is a FINE mixer but old and may need "contact" cleaning like deoxit etc .. to take care of possible "crackling" noises from the built up oxidation which happens to all gear of this age. It is really not a problem and is seen as due "maintenance". Again, if it's not an abused mixer then most likely all it will need is deoxit and it'll provide for a long and satisfying service to you ..... erm ..... right .. :D The Teac 5 is basically a slightly stripped down TASCAM 35. Both have EQ but the TEAC 5 has fixed low and high with switchable frequecies (someone correct me here if I stray) and the 35 has sweepable low and high. Also the 5 is a bit older. Although I respect the opinions of people here I disagree that you need a Soundcraft or A & H ... They're great boards but just about any home recordist or even studio owner would do exceptionally well with a TASCAM/TEAC analog board. Look for deals on TASCAM M30, M35, M200 and M300 series (with B versions being phantom) and of course a good condition TEAC 5. All of these will serve just about all of us quite well. Btw, be SERIOUSLY sure that your seller packs well ...

~Daniel

e unum pluribus said:

The first one: Don't buy it. Too much money, dirty and 0 feedback seller.

Second One: I'd stay away from the 0 feedback seller.

In BOTH instances, wait for a better condition 2A from feedback positive sellers.

I have the TEAC 2A. The preamps are quiet, the EQ is very nice and it sounds very good and it's well built, for what it is. It's a nice and simple mixer but be aware it has no headphone output so you'd use your recorder's phones out instead. I also have the MB-20 meter bridge for it but I find it to be cumbersome so I don't use it.

Back