Ramsa WRT-820 little problem

AllenM

Hello,

I've had this issue for awhile but certain channels on my Ramsa board pass clean signal, then get faint and distorted. To resolve this I bump up the gain (max) and it goes back to a clean signal for a brief period, then back to low output and distortion.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? I do believe it is the channel strip as it does it on tape returns and mic preamp. The Xlr ins are connected to a channel snake. I haven't bypassed the snake but I dont think the snake is whats causing the problem.

:confused:

I have no idea whats in there, but I'd be doing the normal re-seating, maybe connector switching, and looking for bad solders and components.

I would guess that it capacitors not supplying juice to spec.

I was thinking the same thing.
That's a pretty old board...there's no way the caps are still operating at spec after 25-30 years.

If it is the caps...you can expect all your channels to start doing the same thing eventually.

I wouldn't overlook solders, but I've had stuff(caps) that would whiz out - sometimes right before my eyes. I've made some mental notes on reports of bad solders others have reported on some gear. I'm still running stuff with split disk caps. hahaha

Does this board have TRS inserts? If yes, try burnishing/cleaning them. The normals often get crudded up. It happens on my console from time to time.

I finally got around to trying it out. I found out the sends are not being intermittent and are clean. Monitoring the channel through LR master is distorted until I raise gain or tape trim.

I finally got around to trying it out. I found out the sends are not being intermittent and are clean. Monitoring the channel through LR master is distorted until I raise gain or tape trim.

cleaned the trs inserts though the problem is still there...:confused:

Arenthe channel cards connected by any kind of a buss PCB? Like a PC board that goes across all the channel cards?

Back