RAM Mixing Desks - Anyone owned/used one?

Barry B

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever owned/used or owns a RAM Mixing Desk. I've been offered one and am going to look at this weekend. I believe its the RM Micro 16 from the pics and the basic research I've done but am after some user feedback.

Are they any good as a company?
Were there any common problems?
Are they solidly built?

This is going to be my first venture into something like this (read old/vintage etc) and am after some advice to avoid any pitfalls.

Thanks

RAM mixers? :confused:

From what I found on Google, they were a British made brand from back in the 70's and there's no parts or service documents on them at this point.

Unless its in full working condition and dirt cheap, I'd keep shopping.

What were your plans for it, set up wise?

Cheers! :)

Depends on what dirt cheap is :D . Its not a bank breaker and assuming it worked for a reasonable period of time without needing much work (couple of years) I'd be happy.

I have an MPC that I run into a battered old Yamaha desk that I was given. I also record my vocals to a HD recorder and midi sync that with the MPC. That is also ran through the desk.

Its a pretty archaic way of doing things granted but it works and involves minimal stress for me. I do this at the moment as a hobby and bar some luck will continue to do so. I want something with a bit of a different sound not bank breaking, reliable that can replace my Yamaha.

I was looking at one of those Yamaha/Allen & Heath 16 track USB type mixers but am in two minds. Its not a problem affording this equipment but I like to justify my spend (in my old age). :(

A friend was suggesting a Digi 002 Mixer or a Mackie 16 something I forget the name now.

Well, I have no idea how it sounds or how clean or dirty the electronics are so it's a crap shoot to invest much of anything into it without knowing what it sounds like beforehand. Also because of the obscurity and obsolescence of the brand, it's unlikely anyone here is going to be chiming in with their direct knowledge of how those boards were.

Caveat-emture and all that...

Pretty much been getting the same answers everywhere. Shame really as it looks nice :)

How much is the seller asking for it? If it's only the price of a night out, dinner and a movie, maybe its worth the gamble? If its more then that, then heade the advice you've been given.

Back