Quick Question about Fostex Model 80 Alignment

broken_arrow

Greetings all, currently working on setting the Repro levels on my Fostex Model 80 8-track tape machine.

I've purchased the correct MRL for this machine - 21J303-A = 15ips, IEC1, 320 nWb/m, 1/4"

I just had one quick question....

I'll be using Scotch 207 NOS for this machine, which is +3 tape.

Therefore, when the Repro tones are playing back on the MRL, would I be setting my multimeters for 0dB, or would it be -1dB.

An answer (and perhaps brief explanation why) would be greatly appreciated... after all, give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man why he has to set his Repro levels at a particular dB, keep him recording for life...

The service manual states 0db on the unit's vu meter with the Dolby turned off.

The manual also states several other steps to be performed before you get to that stage which involve having voltage meters, signal generators and an oscilloscope.

Do you have these other tools and the service manual?

Following the service manual by the book will keep you out of trouble. Any other path to accomplishing this may prove...troubling. :D

Cheers! :)

You’ll be fine with using tapes like 3M/Scotch 207 and Ampex/Quantegy 407 with any of the Fostex ¼” 8-tracks. The Model 80 and the MRL 21J303-A are G320 (German 320) based on European standards. The fluxivity works out to about 280 nWb/m using North American standards. Just watch your levels that you don’t push the meters too much into the red when recording. Keep it at 0 VU max for best results.

Back