questition about my audio interface i/o

readytowok

In short, I want to buy a behringer umc404hd soundcard. Will there be enough outputs inputs to pass signal through the stereo compressor(gear/analog/external)?

behringer-umc404hd-1b.jpg
behringer-umc404hd-2b.jpg

The outputs from the I/F you show going to the compressor are going to be the same signal as is going to the monitors. That's probably not what you are wanting to compress.

The connections on the far right of the I/F rear are inserts; they carry both the send and return to/from an effect. I'm not exactly sure how they would be connected to your compressor (maybe a breakout cable?).

Since I don't have Insert I/O on my interface, I use playback outputs (the 404HD has 4 of them) to the input of the device, and connect the device output to an input on the front panel.

Hope that helps.

I haven't read the manual, but I'd imagine those inserts are on the input side - after the pre but before the ADC. Don't think you can use them to process signals coming out of the computer without first looping from the outs to the ins, which is what we're trying to do anyway, so...

You want the 1/4" holes furthest left - Playback Outputs B

You should be able to go into those inserts as you've drawn, but you probably shouldn't use a balanced cable for that run. It ultimately doesn't matter whether you go to inputs 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, or really any pair you want.

2in x 2out; and 2out to monitors; But this interface is confusing.
Here I drew a diagram. That's right?
View attachment 97725

Inserts would imply that they have a send/return in one jack. You'd use an insert cable, which is TRS on one side, and 2xTS on the other side. The tip is probably the send, and the ring is probably return.

Inserts would also imply that these are inline with the mic preamps on the front panel. So if you plug a mic into Mic1, and insert a compressor into Insert 1, the signal flow would be mic->preamp->compressor->analog/digital conversion into the computer.

This will be great if you want to record your tracks with compression on them, but not good for trying to send already-recorded tracks out of the interface, through a compressor, and back into the interface. Unless the interface comes with routing software that allows you to tap into those inserts as inputs/outputs from your DAW.

Inserts would also imply that these are inline with the mic preamps on the front panel. So if you plug a mic into Mic1, and insert a compressor into Insert 1, the signal flow would be mic->preamp->compressor->analog/digital conversion into the computer.
What I said. For the same reason, though, I think they do function as valid return points. It's usually send on ring and return on tip and you should be able to stick a TS plug in there and avoid the preamp on the way back altogether.

Definitely turn hardware/direct monitoring off! Route everything via your DAW. If it won't let you, get Reaper. :)

Thank you all. I read everything.
This is what I think to get another audio interface.
ICON FireXon firewire
20101021171417.jpg

Or BEHRINGER FIREPOWER FCA610
888880014305-615.jpg
888880014305-305.jpg
They are normally suitable for what I described. Right?

What I said.

Oops, sure enough. I didn't see your comment when I replied. So, uh, yeah...what he said :D

I've never heard of ICON before, so I have no idea. That Behri looks good, has line inputs and line outputs. Depending on what routing software it comes with, or the capabilities of your DAW, it should work fine.

But keep in mind that both of those interfaces are FireWire, which is quickly aging and being replaced by Thunderbolt. Some people get along great with FireWire connectivity, some don't. Just something to keep in mind as you shop.

Back