Question about a tape

Bloodbone

I bought a tape from ebay just the other day.
It is on a small reel,and the reel has small holes in it.
No way is this thing going to mount up on my Otari 1/4" deck with the NAB hubs.
What are my options?
I'm assuming I could take the NAB adapters off,and the little reel would mount then.But I don't wanna do that.
Would it be acceptable to just put the tape on the 10" reels I've been using?
Or can I find small reels with the ability to mount on NAB adapters,and put the tape on one of them?
Any advice appreciated.

Bloodbone said:
I'm assuming I could take the NAB adapters off,and the little reel would mount then.But I don't wanna do that.
Why not? That's what you do with those reels.

Would it be acceptable to just put the tape on the 10" reels I've been using?
Sure.
Or can I find small reels with the ability to mount on NAB adapters,and put the tape on one of them?
You could do that as well. But really, just take off the NAB adapters and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Funny story related to this issue --

I bought 2 7" reels of quantegy 407 some time ago to use for my jam band record on a 4 track session -- anywho.

Walked into the pro-audio store who carries the stuff, and they freaked out when I told them I was using the 7" reels on a Teac A-3440S. They tried to convince me that I could only use NAB reels on this machine. (idiots)

I ignored their rambling and bought the tape.

So then I asked if they had a spare take-up reel laying around that I could buy. All they had were plastic 7" reels. He handed me one, shook his head, and said "HERE, man, take it. It's so outdated and useless now, I highly doubt you can use it on your machine though."

You bet both the tape and the takeup reel worked. GEEZ. Of all pro-audio stores, you'd think that the ONE store in Austin that still sells open reel analog tape would know their sh*t and not try to swindle people out of ignorance of the product.

At least the takeup reel was free :D

That's a hoot!

It's a shame. The stores may be old and established, but if the people behind the counter aren't... well, you know. :)

Back