question about line output

exojjl

on my guitar amp, I tried using my line out by using a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to my Y-cable that goes to RCA's so that I could use the line input on my tape deck to record. I can only record one channel!!! I get both channels though when i use the headphones port to record into the deck. Why is it that I only get one channel?!!?

The line output of the amp is mono, the line input of the tape deck is stereo, you are only feeding the one side.

Farview said:
The line output of the amp is mono, the line input of the tape deck is stereo, you are only feeding the one side.

damn. i should just get a mic for recording, but i need two mics for recording stereo!

its not possible to get stereo sound into my deck through the line out?

You need a mono to stereo adapter, that will get sound coming out of both sides. That isn't stereo, it is dual mono. Your guitar amp is mono, there isn't much you can do to make it stereo.

my deck has two mic inputs, L + R which means i need two mics to record, so that means its dual mono (essentially stereo) ? Mono to stereo adapter? how does that work?

If you come out of the line out of the amp with a normal guitar cable (ts) and get an adapter (a 'Y' cable) it will split the signal to the left and right input. You are still listening in mono, just out of both speakers.

alright, so your saying if i hook a regular cable up to the amp, then use a 1/4 female to 1/8 female adapter, and hook my "y" adapter to it, that would work?

YOu would hook the 1/4 cable to a 1/4 mono to 2 RCA cable, hook that to an RCA to 1/8 stereo cable.

I chose those adapters because they are the easiest to find. You need to do two things.
1. convert mono to 'stereo' (it doesn't convert it to a stereo signal, it just routes one signal to both sides)
2. convert 1/4 to 1/8

Any combination of adapters that accomplish those two things will work.

Back