Quantegy 499 1/4" 7" Grand Master Gold tape question

Dad Roadie

Hi To All,
Now that I have some spare time I've started to reorganize my music/recording room. While doing this I found a couple of Quantegy reel to reel tapes that I forgot I had in one of the drawers. (see attached photo) I would imagine I bought it for my reel to reel that I still own but has seen better days. These tapes are still sealed and have been in the drawer for over 10+ years. Since I really don't have a use for this quality of tape anymore and I believe they are no longer available I would like to get them to someone that has a machine that they would be better suited to.I'm thinking of listing them on Ebay.

My 2 questions to the Forum are.

Since the tapes have never been opened I'm hesitate to open them.I want whoever that buys them to know they are new. Is it possible that the tapes have disintegrated over time? They have been in a controlled humidity and temperature environment in the music room. My instruments have always been happy. I won't sell anything that could be an issue.
If they still ok what would be a fair price? Now that I'm retired any extra income would come in handy for upgrades on the music room.
Thanks in advance for any help!
dad roadie

Attachments

• 456 TAPE.JPG
    456 TAPE.JPG
    592.8 KB · Views: 15
499 when stored in normal climate will be fine for many, many years.

Don't open them...and show the edge where the date code is located.
Being 7" reels...not as desired as the bigger 10.5" reels, since these are mostly suited for newer/pro-ish decks that can deal with the 499 formulation.

I would ask like $30-$40 for the pair since they are new/sealed.

+1 to all that ^^^^

I just sold a new SIP pair of 1/4" 499 on 7" reels for about what Miro suggests. And 499 is mot known to be sticky-shed prone particularly when Quantegy branded. :thumbs up:

thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies and the information. I couldn't find the date code stamp mentioned. Do you know where it would be located? I'll figure out a price and get them up on Ebay.Hopefully they can find a good home.
All the Best!
dad roadie

+1 to all that ^^^^

I just sold a new SIP pair of 1/4" 499 on 7" reels for about what Miro suggests. And 499 is mot known to be sticky-shed prone particularly when Quantegy branded. :thumbs up:

I couldn't find the date code stamp mentioned. Do you know where it would be located? I'll figure out a price and get them up on Ebay.Hopefully they can find a good home.
All the Best!
dad roadie

This is the label that you should have somewhere on the box...and that's the date code.
(click on the picture to see it full size)

This tape is from 1998

tape.png

Thanks for the reply on the date code. I looked again and didn't see any date code on the box. I noticed that your photo was of a the larger tape that I believe came in a plastic box. Maybe there in a different spot on the smaller reels like the ones I have. Anyone have the smaller stuff to check?
Thanks to all !
dad roadie

No

I'm pretty sure that 7" reels of Quantegy would have the date stamp on the label of the box that the batch of tapes came in, not each individual tape.:spank::eek:;)

I have shrink wrapped Quantegy 457 on 7"reels with no date code,

but they came in a larger box of 20 which has the date code on it.
Likewise, I have a couple of cases of 031 that are dated coded on the shipping box, not the individual reel or box.
:eek::spank:;)

Back