Problem shipping tape machines (incident report)

So, I recently bought a Tascam 246 from a guy through Craigslist with the plan to fix it up and sell it. This is the model I was asking about replacing the VU meter bulbs on last month. I went through and cleaned it up nice, with new belts, pinch roller wheel, idler tires. I tested all the channels and it was great. I sold it on Reverb, packed it up good and bought the shipping through them. I mistakenly chose UPS but I figured that I'd packed it carefully enough and that it would survive even with those monsters handling it. Of course it shows up to the buyer with a crack on the top right corner :facepalm:. I bought the shipping insurance through Reverb prior, so the buyer told me that he planned on having it fixed and knew a place and everything. He said he did some tests and that it was just a cosmetic issue so he would take it to this shop and get the estimate and they would reimburse.

A week goes by and then I get an email saying that the buyer no longer wants to go through with the repairs and they want me to refund the money to him and to find a reputable repair shop to give me an estimate on what it will cost and they will hopefully take care of it. I'm pretty annoyed here because there's no way any shop is going to be able to replace the cracked corner and now I'm stuck with a busted machine. I live in NYC as well, and it's not as easy as throwing it in the backseat and driving to a repair shop. I'm dependent on the subway here so even getting it to NJ Factory Repair is a $70 cab ride. I don't really understand how I'm being forced to take it back and suffer the loss because of careless shipping and handling. I feel for the buyer as this exact thing happened to me once when I bought a 4-track once and it arrived with a cracked corner (seems like they enjoy throwing boxes at UPS) but I took it up with them and received a check after a little back n' forth.

Has anyone here ever dealt with this before? I have sold Tascam 244's and 246's before and have always packed them well (and went through USPS until this time) and never had anything go wrong. I personally don't think I am responsible for this as I sold it as-is with the guarantee that it would work as described. How then, am I forced to take it back because they fucked it up? Also, the buyer says that he's going to go ahead with the repairs and then suddenly a week later changes his mind? How do I know he didn't mess it up when he was doing whatever tests he said he was doing? What would you do in this situation? I'm afraid he took it to the shop and they said it was more damaged than he had originally thought and now he obviously just wants to get rid of it. What a mess.

If you agreed to cover any damage and/or take it back...you're stuck.
If not...he's stuck.

I shipped a pair of 75lb Fostex G-16 decks from NY to CA...and I made sure they could survive a roll down some stairs and not get damaged, by packing them with a double foam/bubble and double box.
With heavy items, you really have to make sure it both doesn't move inside, no wiggle... and that there's a large cushion between the item and the outside box.
Heavy items are hard to handle...so you can expect that the guys are going to possibly bump/drop them when loading/unloading.

I broke boxes for UPS back in the '60s. Nothing to it.

Often overlooked is shock absorption - like the shocks on ones car. It could be air turbulence, also, along with some pot-hole in the road. My first used Revox was slim packed using hard foam and was half out of the box and missing parts. hahaha I use that foam to block a hole outside in the arizona sun and it's still hard after six years. A wooden chair might not last four years

Has anyone here ever dealt with this before? .

My company ships out high end industrial microscopes. These are packed by professionals at the factory. I've seen a few get plowed over by fedex forklifts. I kid you not. lol. Fedex has always paid in full for the scope. Most times, our customers are the ones paying for shipping, so they are the ones who have to initiate the insurance claim. There are times when we paid for shipping and we have to deal with it. Those times, the onus is on us... no pun intended.

I personally don't think I am responsible for this as I sold it as-is with the guarantee that it would work as described. How then, am I forced to take it back because they fucked it up?
You packed it. You paid for shipping and shipping insurance and.... you "sold it as-is with the guarantee that it would work as described". When the buyer bought it, it didn't have a crack in the corner. It sucks the buyer didn't get what he paid for.

Also, the buyer says that he's going to go ahead with the repairs and then suddenly a week later changes his mind?
Probably couldn't find anyone who could repair it.

To me, honestly, the buyer should still take it because it works. You negotiate with UPS for an insurance payment and pass it on to the buyer. He gets a discount, you get full price. He covers the crack with camo duct tape.

Those are my thoughts, anyway. I hope it turns out well for both of you.

"What's the problem"?

The buyer found a cheaper price at the thrift store

Lol, maybe. The problem is that Reverb is telling me that the buyer has a certain amount of time from delivery of the item to return it if it's not working as described. I understand that it didn't have a crack in it's side but that's not my doing, so I don't feel like I'm responsible for it. If it showed up without a scratch but then wouldn't play the tape I would take it back no questions because I had guaranteed it would. The reason I bought shipping insurance was because I was afraid it might get damaged, not because I just wanted to give the buyer the option to use it if they wanted to. I'm in a tough spot here because I have a feeling it's going to get even more messed up being shipped back to me and now this machine that I've already spent $80 fixing is never going to be 100%. I already own a mint 246 and I have a feeling that I'm going to have a parts machine for it soon. What a waste of time and money. I'm seriously done with selling stuff like this on Reverb.

Generally speaking, you as the seller are likely responsible for the damage because you made the deal with the shipper and sent it out.

That said, depending on the Reverb/Paypal situation (and what info you listed in the Item), you are not automatically responsible for return shipping charges (unless Reverb has a policy that says you are, not sure). An argument could be made either way. Return shipping charges are the only issue here. I would not personally entertain any options for taking the thing back to have it repaired ... the buyer can return it or keep it.

If I were in that situation and purchased the insurance, I would file a claim to get reimbursed by UPS. You could get back 100% of the selling price. You may need to ask the buyer to provide photos, a detailed description of the damage, etc.

Once you receive the refund from UPS, you can give the buyer the option of keeping the item and obtaining a partial refund (perhaps even up to 50% or more), or returning it to you (at his expense?) and receiving a full refund.

Depending on how the scenario plays out, you may actually come out ahead.

I was once involved in a situation in which I was pretty sure the seller was scamming USPS.

I bought a tape deck via Craigslist (in a different city), sent the seller $200 via Paypal, received the item … only it didn’t work at all and also did not appear to have any shipping damage.

I contacted the seller, and his response was “It must have been damaged in shipping” … he swiftly refunded me everything I paid in full, indicating that he will be filing a claim with USPS and I can keep the item … he only asked that I take some photos of the box and hold onto everything until he gives me the clear, which he did after a couple weeks.

End result was the seller likely sold a broken item worth about $25 for $200, and I got a broken item (which I later sold for $25) for free. And USPS lost :)

Last edited:
Back