Prices

There are a few versions of them. basically a sweep meter, emulating a very large VU meter, but done with LEDS.

The sweep actually has two scales beside each other. The larger one to the left is average levels, to the right where the red zone would be is a section that shows instantaneous peak level with hold if one wants.

sorry for the picture, but its all I have on my work computer...

082.jpg

@ Beagle Sorry I spelled the name wrong. That's probably why nothing came up.

@ mdainsd Oooh! You got the big boys. They have a huge bigger one as well that you can see from across the room.

I have the smaller ones. Three actually.
One pair in a rack, and one pair on the console nicknamed "eyebrows".
Eyebrows isnt in a case or a rack and is missing the faceplate, it's just the guts with exposed led segments. It works, but looks funny, so it got the nickname.
I also have the small digital 280d. For that one I at least made a nice mahogany case.
I talked to Dorrough, and they say the can sell me the parts to make "eyebrows" whole again. Nice people actually.

That huge one is $1,995.00 each :eek:

I think they are for when you want to take shock and awe on the road with you....

I think the big one would make a great recording sign substitute. Put it on the outside of the door to the studio, and when the meters are going it means don't bother me.

Although I think the application is more for a broadcast environment. You put it up on the wall and more than one person can see the signal going out. That's my thought anyway.

Regarding prices for analog gear: I had an auction for a Tascam 48 with AQ-65 Auto Locator and nobody bid even $1,100. Prices must be coming down if that doesn't get a nibble. If you're saying to yourself, "that's too much for a 48 and auto locator" .... looks like you're right!

Regarding prices for analog gear: I had an auction for a Tascam 48 with AQ-65 Auto Locator and nobody bid even $1,100. Prices must be coming down if that doesn't get a nibble. If you're saying to yourself, "that's too much for a 48 and auto locator" .... looks like you're right!

The pics you had of the heads showed flat spots on all the lifters and guide posts along with visible wear on the sync and repro head. That might have been enough to scare many potential buyers away at that price. Maybe try listing it again with a lower starting bid price and remove those pics and add a statement like, "heads do show some minimal wear but there's still lots of service life left on them".

Cheers! :)

Last year I bought a like new Tascam 48-OB off CL here in Hollywood Califonia for $400.00. The guy told me he bought it new in the 80's and recorded 1 reel of demos and put it in storage. It's in new condition and works great. Last year I bought a Tascam 52-NB for $300.00 and it doesnt have any visible head wear. I also bought a Tascam ATR 60-2 in exelent condition from a company thats a Tascam dealer and sells recording equipment for $600.00. I wouldnt pay more than $200.00 for a 48-OB thats in the condition yours is in. I dont want the rack of the locator and I dont want to have to hassle with trying to sell them. I passed up a Tascam rack like yours for $50. I know where a few locators are. Its going to be very expensive to re-head that 48 you have. Also if a motor goes out it becomes a parts deck. I'm just letting you know how it is. About a month ago a Tascam 58 sold for $280.00 on ebay. I might would have bought it if it was local and I could test it. Someone here on the forum had a Tascam 58 for $1500.00 and last i checked it was still for sale. Another thing is finding techs that know how to service them and theres not that many left. Prices for old obsolete gear that you cannot get part have gone way to high. The only reason I like tape is because I'm a 57yo musician that been using tape since the 70's. All my musician friends went digital long ago and cant believe I still hassle with tape.

Hollywood is an unusual case with many storefront surplus audio outlets as well as maybe dozens of small hole-in-the-wall recording studios with stuff in mothballs. That's says nothing of the surplus gear sold by private parties out of homes in the surrounding area. Pro studios large and small have been excessing analog recording gear of all sorts for many years now. It's fairly common to find well used Studers, MCIs and Otaris littered about in large collections, but most will be of "project" caliber. Sometimes finding the hidden gem.

A picker's paradise!

:spank::eek:;)

Indeed. Just about everything in my studio has come from those sources. A couple years ago I totaled up the old MSRP or original selling prices and I was shocked what it came to.

Being from there, all I can say is you guys have no idea! Not just hollywood but all over. LA is HUGE!!!. Been a music and movie town since its inception. There are people who have been involed, or are currently involved in the industry, scattered all over the place. Along with all the gear that goes with the territory. Yup, it's a goldmine.

I may have shared this before. But I found my NOS Tascam ATR-80-24 at a studio in Hollywood. Still fastened to the pallet it shipped on, still with the packing under the deck surface to hold things from damage in shipment. I gladly dropped 2K dollars on that. But with it came a box of "spare stuff". In addition to all sorts of cables, new cards for the ATR was a brand new Studer 24 track head stack. I sold that through a broker in two days for $2500. so basically I was "paid" 500 bucks to take a brand new tape machine home. I could do that all day LOL

You still in Hollywood?
I live in the valley now but that only about 10 miles from hollywood. I will be going to Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood tomarrow. Also there was a Tascam MS16 on CL in Glendale last month for $350.00. I dont need a 1" and i also know that machine is difficult to get part for and expensive to repair "if" you can find used parts and a pain to load in a truck.

Ah cool. last place for me was Granada Hills. Spent 0ver 30 years in Hollywood. Fond memories, despite it not being the town it used to be.
Now Waaaaaaay north.

I saw the movie San Andreas the other day. It's Karma for all the great deals you've been getting out there while we've been suffering so in the Midwest. You probably should start sending all that stuff this way to protect it. :D

Back