Prices

famous beagle

I'd heard other people say similar things before, but I didn't pay it much mind I guess because I was never in a position to buy much gear at the time. But I'm starting to regret the resurgence of interest in all things analog (vinyl, tape, etc.) because it's really sent the prices of ATRs soaring.

I remember buying an Otari MX5050 in good working condition for $150 plus $35 shipping back in the late 90s. Nowadays, you spend that just for an Otari nameplate. :(

A resurgence in interest and a finite, limited supply of product. Sucks for us right now, unless we happen to be selling.

It's not a perfect market but at least its still a free market. Sellers are free to ask what they feel they can sell stuff at and buyers are free to tell them to piss up a rope or buy from them.

For those with some patience, there's always a deal to be had somewhere. For those who want stuff yesterday, there's always a sucker deal to deprive you of your hard earned money.

Cheers! :)

The irony here is that this thread in its own small way will contribute to rising prices.
That being said, yeah prices going up sucks, except for sellers.
But look at the bright side. Most vintage analog gear goes for a fraction of it's original price. Unlike vintage cars where the price in many cases has far exceeded the original price.

Of course it's a bummer in the sense that we have to pay more for our equipment but on the other hand the reversing trend also means that we can expect more contemporary records to sound great. The decline of the big players of the record industry such as the major labels has been an advantage in many ways with the notable exception of sound quality. I see the renewed interest in analog gear as a glimpse of hope in terms of that. For me who play and listen to psychedelic rock I'm happy to hear the sound of tape on a rising number of new releases.

Also if the trend continues we can expect some companies will get back in the reel-to-reel business which can make spare parts available well into the future.

i will not pay high prices for stuff i cant even get parts for. lots of those decks are being sold by people that got them from an estate sale and say they dont know anything about them. some have rusted guides and flat heads. i recently bought Teacs off CL that had been priced around $600 each for a couple of months. 2 sellers kept lowering their prices and when they got to $300 each i bought them. one seller finally came down to $200 and i bought his. i was told i was they only one that contacted them. i know of several more Teacs that are priced way too high and the price has been coming down. i am keeping everything i buy and using them

Last edited:
I hope they come down. I know there's a big difference between what people ask for and what they sell for, but if you do a sold items search on eBay, it's still pretty depressing when you compare it to the prices of the late 90s.

Decks are still cheap ... Try selling one if you don't believe me! There are certain makes/models (particularly consumer decks) that get hyped up on forums (and eBay prices follow), but the market is still pretty small.

If you factor in inflation, most decks are just about cheaper than they've ever been.

At the end of the day, a tape recorder is essentially "obsolete" in terms of function. And for those that are after the character/flavor, they are a major commitment and time/money hole, so the prices will probably stay low.

I think there were crazy deals pre-Internet ... But that's the case for any desirable audio gear. You can still see guys giving away old pro studio decks on Craigslist ... It's just random.

I have come to the conclusion that the gear I paid 10's of thousands of $ for over the years is more or less worthless now. What makes me sad is the fact that most of my gear is in very good condition and will probably find it's way to the tip at some point when I retire. For example how many new (home or project) studios use a console?

On the up side until I retire I am buying loads of gear that is going at throw out prices that I could not dream of when new and enjoying using it.

Alan.

I think you are right. New project or home studios probably dont use consoles.

It's not practical for them to. People that started recording on DAWs have been taught from the beginning to exploit the limitless track count feature. It's not uncommon for my digital-loving friend to use more than 48 tracks on his recordings. And how many home studio owners can afford a 48-track console for mixing?

That, coupled with the fact that all DAWs feature automation, means that consoles don't see much light of day in the digital home studio.

It certainly isn't cost effective or logistically advantageous for a recording newbie who is an ITB user, to all of a sudden add a console to his rig.
It would have to be a conscious decision to go hybrid...and then decide to do OTB mixdowns and use outboard gear...and spend a good amount of $$$ to do so.

However, for many who already have/had consoles and outboard, but then added DAWs to their studios, they most likely went into a hybrid setup and kept the console and outboard with the DAW...though I'm sure some decided to just go all ITB.

I have no qualms about doing the hybrid thing...and I'm still in the console upgrade mode....meaning, I'm looking for and willing to spend a few $k to upgrade from my TASCAM 3500 to something with a bit more of a "pro" pedigree.
IOW...I'm not looking to abandon the console/hybrid approach just 'cuz I have a DAW and can do ITB.
Nice thing with the DAW is that you can still have the automation even when using a console that doesn't.

Looking at just eBay for the moment, their new "Features" are causing prices to go up. They suggest prices based on trends. Those trends can't be based on ending prices, but on listing prices... The Flower Pot Guy strikes again! They must be averaging listing prices. They also suggest shipping prices that are way on the high side... often twice what they should be. I used to love selling on eBay. Now it's a PITA! I can get around on it, but it takes longer because I have to undo all the suggestions to lower my BIN prices and shipping costs to reasonable. I imagine other eBay sellers are just going with the default suggestions from eBay.

I notice a lot of items in other categorizes are crazy high as well... like old computer MOBOs... ridiculous!

Well the bastards want to make money.
Keeps the shareholders happy.
That flower pot guy sure does list some crazy prices.

I have no qualms about doing the hybrid thing...and I'm still in the console upgrade mode....meaning, I'm looking for and willing to spend a few $k to upgrade from my TASCAM 3500 to something with a bit more of a "pro" pedigree.

Actually I have a Tascam M3700 which is a M3500 with the onboard automation. I love this console had it since new, 32 channel with the full meter bridge, if you can get the 3700.

Alan.

I've had mine since 1990...it's getting a bit long in the tooth. :D
I still use it...but the EQ was never all that great from day 1, just useable...and when you load up all the channels for mixdown, it kinda struggles.
There was a time I considered doing some of the upgrade mods that were available through a few after-market audio shops...but when I started adding up all the channels, plus the master section...shit, it just made no sense.

I'm looking for something used and more pro...that I could grab for a fraction of original cost. Something with really great EQ and that can sum with some balls. I don't really care about the pres all that much, but wouldn't complain if they were decent...also at least 4-6 AUX buses, and ideally a 32 x 24 x 2, so I can marry it up with my 2" tape deck...and of course, all balanced I/O.

I have my eye on an MCI 636 from one of our HR members, who's been refurbishing one from the ground up.
Then I've also been quite keen on the Neotek Elite consoles...but even used, they still fetch a high price $8-12k...and that's getting a little out of my budget. I mean....it's mainly for me, for my personal use, though I guess if I got a console like that, along with my 2" and outboard gear, plus my DAW setup...I might be tempted to get into more commercial operations.
It's been something I've kicked around for awhile now...and I guess when the right console comes up and all the stars align...I'll decide then.

Make sure you have to the money set aside. Often times things come along when you least expect them.

Oh I've had it set aside for a few years now....the problem is that the longer it sits there, the more chance that some other needs will chip away at it.

Two years ago I had an opportunity to grab a Trident London for $4k...but the reality was that just because they were Tridents, they had nothing to do with the top-end Trident boards...they were more low-budget boards. It would have required another $3-4k in mods and PS upgrades to bring into more pro territory...and even though I had the cash in hand, I was somewhat reluctant.
Anyway...I passed...and now I see the same boards selling for $7-8k, without the mods. It seems like prices went up on them for some reason....maybe 'cuz the name leads people to think they're getting all that high-edn Trident goodness...so they sellers think they can capitalize on the small resurgence of analog mixing that is going on.

I don't feel bad about not getting it...but I think about the price then and now...and wonder if I should have.

Like I mentioned...right now I have my eyes and heart set on the MCI 636 that one of our HR members is eventually going to sell...I think.
Not sure if things will work out and if we'll strike a deal, but all our conversations have been positive...but as I mentioned, the longer the money sits around, the more chance something else will come along that I need to spend it on. :D

Back